Ducks meeting????

blayt90

Crowing
Jan 11, 2018
Magee, Mississippi
My Coop
My Coop
I have four khaki Campbell ducklings that are about 3 1/2 weeks old. As a test run I released one of my ducklings into the larger pen with my adult ducks. My males both tried to bite the duckling on the neck. I removed the duckling very quick. Would the males have killed the duckling and why?they have been in the pen with my adults but separated for a few days now.

The males were probably trying to mate the duckling and because they are so small, it would have been fatal. Keep the ducklings in a “howdy box” where they can become accustomed to each other without physical contact- like a wire dog crate, or just fence separating them. They probably shouldn’t be integrated until older though, I’m sure someone will be along soon with a better suggestion to appropriate meeting age.

00E1E32C-364A-4E81-93BE-F5229F7FD8F4.jpeg
The males were probably trying to mate the duckling and because they are so small, it would have been fatal. Keep the ducklings in a “howdy box” where they can become accustomed to each other without physical contact- like a wire dog crate, or just fence separating them. They probably shouldn’t be integrated until older though, I’m sure someone will be along soon with a better suggestion to appropriate meeting age.
They are in the same large pen but separated by a temporary fence.

Back
Top Bottom