Ducks nesting in December

hellfire

Songster
8 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Plymouth Devon UK
Well a few weeks back one of my muscovys started acting broody and I found she had a nest under my horse box. She’s now hatched a load of ducklings today. This is a really weird time of year and a first for me. She always nests there and hatched a clutch earlier this year. She likes to fly out the poultry field to nest in this spot and make me work catching her and the ducklings to pen them up. Well now in my poultry field today as I was cleaning out the piggery moving things and feed bins ready to lock some birds up due to flu I found another nest behind the mower!. In strolls one of my my Cayuga girls and sits on that nest!! What the heck is going on? Anyone else had this? So now I’m in a real pickle as currently just filled my other breeding pens with turkeys due to the lock up.

You could make a little poultry tractor, and move nest and duck into the tractor?

I have had a muscovy raise a brood in a very cold fall, (snow and ice etc. )and she did great.
As soon as she came off the nest my other half and I waited until dark and caught her up and the ducklings. They’ve gone in the broody coop and run where I usually put ducklings. Let’s hope they don’t have to stay in there too long as when they get larger I normally open the side door and they get a larger area with poultry netting.
They are doing well strong and healthy mums a star at raising babies as a old hat at it.

Pics of the fluff balls. When mum appeared and now safely in the coop. I don’t usually use straw on the shavings but thought it would be a bit extra although she’s flattened the nice nest I’d made her 😂
I’ve also added a picture of her June hatch in the broody run again she hatched the same place and had to catch her. She raised 14 ducklings all successfully!

Attachments

• B3E8201D-C324-4340-A705-E3D1039ED98C.jpeg
    B3E8201D-C324-4340-A705-E3D1039ED98C.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 8AB0CB99-F372-4E02-AAEB-5D41EBB0DCC8.jpeg
    8AB0CB99-F372-4E02-AAEB-5D41EBB0DCC8.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1594A59E-5CB5-493E-B6D9-1096DAEC3FCD.png
    1594A59E-5CB5-493E-B6D9-1096DAEC3FCD.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
Pics of the fluff balls. When mum appeared and now safely in the coop. I don’t usually use straw on the shavings but thought it would be a bit extra although she’s flattened the nice nest I’d made her 😂
I’ve also added a picture of her June hatch in the broody run again she hatched the same place and had to catch her. She raised 14 ducklings all successfully!
Adorable, nice large hatch...

and GREEN in December!:th

My place, kids chopping wood yesterday:
20201209_204201.jpg

Adorable, nice large hatch...

and GREEN in December!:th

My place, kids chopping wood yesterday:
View attachment 2444108
We’ve had a little snow up on the high ground but nothing here. A few frosts. The area down that part of the field had been re sewn and recovering since the last hatch. All the duck poop really means the grass comes through lovely. Won’t be for long I’m sure 😂

Back
Top Bottom