Ducks not going in pool

DCMuffin

Chirping
Jul 11, 2016
Maryland
So...we upgraded the ducks to a larger pool a few days ago. That same day and the next two, they spent nearly all of their time floating, swimming, and had a blast. Two days ago, I drained it and filled it back up. Ducks have not gone in. I put one in today, the other two jumped in shortly after, were there for about 3 minutes and jumped out, not to return.

Maybe they just don't want to be in water, but it's so strange because with their old pool, AND this one, when I first filled it, it was nearly every moment they could be in it. Last two days - nothing.

Thoughts?

Toss in some peas or mealworms.

x2

Just encourage them to go in the pool. They're ducks so they will soon enough
smile.png

x2

Just encourage them to go in the pool. They're ducks so they will soon enough
smile.png
But that's the weird thing...they HAVE gone in their pool, for several months now. Even after upgrading, they went right in, spent nearly every moment they could in it. I drained it and then filled two days ago and they don't go in it. It's strange behavior. They are molting now (they are about 3 months old) so I thought maybe that had something to do with it. I guess I just find it strange, is all, since it's usually a normal thing for them. Every single night, before it gets completely dark, they have spent an hour or so in the pool before they head to the coop to go to sleep. Nope, not since I filled it. :/

Hmm, Maybe its because the water you filled the pool up with is strange to them, How often do you change the water? The water that was already in their may of smelt like 'ducks' the new water may just take a while until it becomes 'duck like'.

Sorry, I cant really help you as I do not own ducks right this moment.

But best of luck.

Thanks. Yeah, if I hadn't changed the water every two days in their other pools, I'd think the same. There was never a time they didn't do the pool. I'm not terribly concerned, they'll do water if they want to do water..I just find it odd.

Last wk I went on vacation, BF cared for the ducks. I'd noticed he filled their pool higher than I do. No biggie. HUGE biggie to the ducks! They've had the same pool since they first started swimming a months ago. BF said they swam in it while he was here and they've known him since day old. I only mention this to set up the stage that anything can spook ducks or put them off something for a bit.

That said, to get them back in the pool I finally resorted to placing them in then immediately sitting down by the edge of the pool for several minutes. And that's all it took. They stayed in for awhile after I got up, and over the next couple days they got back into their solid pool time routine. Give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom