Ducks not swimming or playing in water

adegiulio

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
I have two month-old pekins that don't seem to want to swim or play in the kiddie pool I set up for them. The pool is in a hole I dug, and they don't seem to want to go near it. A few times I have picked them up and gently placed them in it, just to give them taste, but they promptly scooted out and ran off. To make things worse, their mouths and nostrils are often dirty, and I worry that their lack of water time is going to lead them to get sick.

Any hints or tips on this topic? These are my first ducks, and they seem healthy in every other way..

Thanks

maybe try putting their favorite treat in there?? also you might want to just put a smaller bowl of water so they can drink and clean their nostrils so they don't get any problems or dehydrated. did you raise them yourself? if so did you give them bathtimes when growing up?

maybe you should see if they like the pool on the grass and not under ground. also they my feel like there to close to predators underthe ground ik that i put mine in a hole i dug and rocks around it they didnt like it then i put it in the grass they loved it they would be in there all day.

I started out with something they could not get out of by themselves. So you may want to try something like that first, to get them used to the water. As of a few days ago, I put a small tub into the pen with them and they wouldn't go near it. I guess because it was different. But they love to eat from my hand so I went over to their pool and let them eat from my hand while slowly bringing my hand back over the water. Then I started dropping the food into the water. And presto, they crawled right on in. Good luck !!

I raised them myself, and put them in the bath twice. They didnt seem to care for that either. I do put a tray of water out there in addition to a normal waterer. It is often muddy and/or empty when I return. As for their favorite treat, I haven't the slightest idea of what they like a lot. They are in a fenced in area of about 2/3 acre, and have their run of it. I'm not sure what they are eating out there (except of course their feed granules)

The kiddie pool was originally on the grass. When they didnt seem to care for that, I dug the hole to put it in. The top of the pool is pretty much flush with the ground level. I'd actually prefer to keep the pool up on the grass, it makes it a lot easier to empty and clean.

I wish they would eat out of my hands. Despite a lot of careful and loving handling when they were little yellow puffs, they run away from me when they see me coming. Contrast that against my chickens, which are at worst indifferent to my approach. The kiddie pool isn't high enough on the sides where they can't get out on their own...

I have 4 pekin ducks. Three live in the water, well it seems like they are always in it. One won't go in at all. She walks around the outside and leans in and sticks her head under, but won't go in. We have tried putting her in, she just jumps right out. We put frozen peas in the pool and float veggies too. She will stand on her tippie toes and reach as far as she can, but never goes all the way. I guess not all ducks like to swim.

We also have a natural pond in our backyard. It is stocked with fish, lillies, and grasses. They would go in when they were babies, but not anymore. They run, flapping wings and all, as fast as they can from the pond.

I guess we will just have 3 ducks in a pool and a stand alone... So wanted to have ducks in a pond. LOL! They do love rain puddles...all four go in them.

Try dry mealworms. First sprinkled in front of them. Then by hand once Maybe twice a day. Then a handfull floating on the water. My duckies will stampede me for them and peas

Try dry mealworms. First sprinkled in front of them. Then by hand once Maybe twice a day. Then a handfull floating on the water. My duckies will stampede me for them and peas
:welcome
We look forward to "meeting" you!
Btw, this is a really old thread.

Back
Top Bottom