Ducks on a large pond

Mdlinn

Hatching
Apr 16, 2021
I have a 12 acre lake in Alabama. I would like to have ducks or geese to help control weeds. I do not want to have to feed them or corral them at night. I would be willing to erect a coop if necessary. Any advice on how to introduce them to an environment like that? How many ducks or geese would it take to keep predators from killing them all?

domestic ducks are domestic for a reason. they will NEED a predator proof house at night, a routine so they know when to come in, and daily feeding of waterfowl food to stay healthy, same with domestic geese

wild ducks are only wild if they are born in the wild, so no matter what you are not gonna get the type of ducks you want unless you find a way to attract wild ducks

I've had ducks on multiple occasions. It's embarrassing to admit that this is the first time I've had ducks reach laying age. They always disappeared, obviously by a predator. I didn't know (was too lazy to educate myself) that they needed to be secured at night, but that's the key to having ducks for any reason except for predator food. Of course this is all in my personal experience, so you may hear something completely different from the next person. My ducks had to be trained to go in their coop at night. They're almost 2 years old (in August) and they're awesome! I hope to add Geese very soon. So I apologize for not answering your question but hope this might help a little bit. I wish you the best. Sounds like you have an amazing place

Ok, how do I find a plan for a predator proof coop? What if I built a fence around it out into the water? Is that a possibility? I am clueless as to how to train a duck to do anything. My Granddaughtr is determined to have ducks on the lake. I don’t eant to break her heart when they disappear.

Ok, how do I find a plan for a predator proof coop? What if I built a fence around it out into the water? Is that a possibility? I am clueless as to how to train a duck to do anything. My Granddaughtr is determined to have ducks on the lake. I don’t eant to break her heart when they disappear.
a roof, flooring, and sides all completely covered so nothing can chew, dig, climb or jump inside. ducks are good with routine so if you put them in the coop every single night they will learn to go in on their own

And you will have to feed them, I know in your initial post you mentioned you do not want to have to feed them but they need a good duck or waterfowl feed. Also I think with a pond that big it would be quite difficult to get them to come in at night, but good luck.

Maybe your best bet is to make wild ducks feel welcome and provide an incentive for them to come. But that would involve food. Especially if you want them to be near the area you visit on the lake.
We have a cute little couple, we've even named them, that come to our place because we have food out for our ducks. They're regulars here, and they even know the best time to fly in for dinner is after mine are in their coop so they won't get chased off. I leave the food out an extra half hour because I know they're coming. They're very comfortable here and sit under the shade tree when my drakes are out on the lake.

They actually don't eat that much since they get most of their food from the lake.

Maybe try that.

I want to add that all the above also applies to geese. Unless your forage is great in the spring/summer they will need supplemental food all year round and predator protection. A friend who has a large flock (30ish geese) still has a handful picked off each year by coyotes or bobcats, because they 100% free-range and sleep in a 3 side open shelter.

There are things you can do though to help with this, an electric fence is a good start, and then an enclosed coop. Follow a daily routine and they should learn when bedtime is and walk right into the coop.

Maybe your best bet is to make wild ducks feel welcome and provide an incentive for them to come. But that would involve food. Especially if you want them to be near the area you visit on the lake.
We have a cute little couple, we've even named them, that come to our place because we have food out for our ducks. They're regulars here, and they even know the best time to fly in for dinner is after mine are in their coop so they won't get chased off. I leave the food out an extra half hour because I know they're coming. They're very comfortable here and sit under the shade tree when my drakes are out on the lake.

They actually don't eat that much since they get most of their food from the lake.

Maybe try that.
I think that would be a better option. We have occasional ducks and geese drop in. If I put food out how do I get them to find it? Just keep putting it out everyday?

Back
Top Bottom