Ducks On Ice

12 Acres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oak Harbor, OH
In answer to the lady who was worry about her ducks freezing to death in the cold weather...
Introducing the holiday skating/synchronized swimming program, "Ducks On Ice"! Be prepared to be amazed when you see these aquatic avians spin, sashay and salcow their way across the ice.

I awoke this morning to find that the pond had iced over from the below-freezing temperatures we'd had the night before. I looked out the north window and wondered where the ducks were.

I walked to the other side of the house where the ducks could be seen swimming around in a small open area in the ice. They weren't too upset but seemed confused about what to do.

7813_ice.jpg

Derek took some corn out to them and attempted a "rescue" of sorts. They weren't interested in being rescued though and didn't use the escape route he broke for them. Eventually hunger got to them and they crawled up on the ice and went slip slidin' all the way to the edge to get some corn. Some did the splits while others landed on their fat rumps. The clever ones flapped their wings and sort of glided across the ice air boat style! We got a good chuckle or two watching the ducks walk on the ice.

7813_ice1.jpg

The chickens stayed off the ice, thank goodness. We weren't sure what to expect the first time they saw the pond frozen. It looks like they're not interested in venturing out there with the ducks. When it gets covered with snow I'm sure that will change. Sweet Pea is busy scrounging for some food at the edge.

7813_sweet_pea_ice.jpg

thats cute...

i am starting to want ducks...shhhh dont tell DH...i got to work that one real easy...like when he buys a new expensive tool or something...

Oh,....I want some too!!! The ducks are way to adorable. Thanks for letting us see these "Adventures on ice" pics. Thats something we rarely see this far South.

That's cute

this morning my teenage ducks looked so confused and lost when they tried to get in there kid pool but couldn't figure out why and how they were standing on top of the water..lol

then they got mad and started yelling so i had to get something else for them to bath in

Quote:
I know your way happy lol
celebrate.gif

ok so now i was told i can get ducks but now i got to get a pond set up for them and a house...man DH is gonna be busy....
lau.gif
opps i mean I am going to be busy
woot.gif

Twelve Acres,
Where is Oak Harbor? We live in Delaware(Sunbury) Ohio. We have one lone duck,a mallard.She has lived with us for 3 yrs now.Her brothers were killed by a fox or something....anyhow, she is best friends with the cat.They play together .She even tolerates the dog,Ruby.She's a choc lab who doesn't realize she's a hunting dog...Kind of dense.I too, chop holes in the ice for "Little Girl"...Hopefully,a male flies in this spring.She's so lonely.here'a a pic when the geese flew in,they flew away after" Ruby" chased them... "Little Girl" is in right corner of pic,bottom

10403_100_1329.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom