Ducks On Ice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 12 Acres, Nov 23, 2008.

1. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    In answer to the lady who was worry about her ducks freezing to death in the cold weather...
    Introducing the holiday skating/synchronized swimming program, "Ducks On Ice"! Be prepared to be amazed when you see these aquatic avians spin, sashay and salcow their way across the ice.

I awoke this morning to find that the pond had iced over from the below-freezing temperatures we'd had the night before. I looked out the north window and wondered where the ducks were.

I walked to the other side of the house where the ducks could be seen swimming around in a small open area in the ice. They weren't too upset but seemed confused about what to do.

[​IMG]

Derek took some corn out to them and attempted a "rescue" of sorts. They weren't interested in being rescued though and didn't use the escape route he broke for them. Eventually hunger got to them and they crawled up on the ice and went slip slidin' all the way to the edge to get some corn. Some did the splits while others landed on their fat rumps. The clever ones flapped their wings and sort of glided across the ice air boat style! We got a good chuckle or two watching the ducks walk on the ice.

[​IMG]

The chickens stayed off the ice, thank goodness. We weren't sure what to expect the first time they saw the pond frozen. It looks like they're not interested in venturing out there with the ducks. When it gets covered with snow I'm sure that will change. Sweet Pea is busy scrounging for some food at the edge.

[​IMG]

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    thats cute...

i am starting to want ducks...shhhh dont tell DH...i got to work that one real easy...like when he buys a new expensive tool or something...

3. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Oh,....I want some too!!! The ducks are way to adorable. Thanks for letting us see these "Adventures on ice" pics. Thats something we rarely see this far South.

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    That's cute

this morning my teenage ducks looked so confused and lost when they tried to get in there kid pool but couldn't figure out why and how they were standing on top of the water..lol

then they got mad and started yelling so i had to get something else for them to bath in

5. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    yeaaaaaaaaa.......
    DH just said i can get more then one duck....lol

6. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I want the pond!! I told my wife I was gonna go get a backhoe but I got the silent stare of death. So I decided against it.

jeremy

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:I know your way happy lol [​IMG]

8. trulyviolet

trulyviolet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    those are great pictures and i love that chicken on the edge
    hahahaha
    vi

9. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I know your way happy lol [​IMG]

ok so now i was told i can get ducks but now i got to get a pond set up for them and a house...man DH is gonna be busy.... [​IMG] opps i mean I am going to be busy [​IMG]

10. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    Twelve Acres,
    Where is Oak Harbor? We live in Delaware(Sunbury) Ohio. We have one lone duck,a mallard.She has lived with us for 3 yrs now.Her brothers were killed by a fox or something....anyhow, she is best friends with the cat.They play together .She even tolerates the dog,Ruby.She's a choc lab who doesn't realize she's a hunting dog...Kind of dense.I too, chop holes in the ice for "Little Girl"...Hopefully,a male flies in this spring.She's so lonely.here'a a pic when the geese flew in,they flew away after" Ruby" chased them... "Little Girl" is in right corner of pic,bottom

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by