Ducks or Chickens? Pros/Cons

Over winter I am keeping 10 chickens, 10 ducks, 2 American Buff geese and 3 Royal Palm turkeys. They co-exist in a 16 X 20 portion of a pole barn at night (and mid-winter), and a fenced acre with lots of shrubs, some open prairie, and a couple of man-made ponds. Egg production varies a lot with breed--my Runner ducks and Welsh Harlequin ducks lay as well as the best chickens--the Cayuga ducks lay a lot less, but their grey-black eggshells are pretty funny. I prefer the duck eggs, but I have a harder time selling them to finicky eaters. The geese and turkeys are not very prolific layers, but I really prefer their meat, and I really enjoy interacting with them.

I have come to grips with the ducks and geese messing up their water by keeping two 5 gallon buckets filled in the coop, and just expecting the area around it to be wet. I use a deep straw litter method, and just throw more straw on the old wet stuff every few days. When I travel, I just put a couple of extra 5 gallon buckets of water in the barn, which means someone has to come care for them every third day.

The chickens always go in to roost in the barn early every evening. Everyone else comes in later, but they have been trained to come in on their own. I still have to tell the ducks to go inside when the pond isn't frozen, but I rarely have to herd them in anymore. They learned after a week or two.

A big advantage of the waterfowl here in Minnesota is that they don't have combs that get frostbitten. I don't heat the barn, just their water buckets. I keep a couple of roosters, and even those with small or rose combs occasionally (at -20F) get frostbitten spots.

Another advantage all my poultry have over chickens is that they forage for more of their food (until snowcover makes this impossible for three months of the year). Some chicken breeds have foraged OK for me--Chanteclers, Rhode Island Reds, and Dominiques come to mind; other chickens, like my Polish hens, rarely go far from the barn.

We have our Indian Runners and our "big girls" housed together. By big girls I mean Barred Rock, Orpington, and LI Red. We noticed the other day that their house/bedding is so clean. Everyone must be doing their business outside, which is great for us. They to have a large chicken/duck run and it includes a small pond area for the ducks. With all the rain we have been having lately everything is muddy for them, so I have stopped fighting the uphill battle for now. They don't seem to mind it so I am not going stress about it. I did find that they enjoyed the leaves being dumped into their runs this year. What a great way to get rid of the leaves and compost at the same time.

We have a coop for the silkies and bantums and their coop is always a mess. We are constantly needing to clean that one.

We love the runners because they are quiet ducks and they don't fly. They do give big eggs and I am told the eggs are great for pasta and baking.

I love having both the ducks and chickens. Good luck with which ever you choose.
cool.png

I love having both, and in fact will be adding to my flocks this spring.

Each one has little things they need (ducks need need need water, lots). Pros and cons are a bit subjective, meaning, we each have our own setup and we have our own set of things we like and don't like.

I started with ducks. Someone gave their kids ducklings for Easter a few years back (I know, really?!?!), found out he couldn't keep them in the city, and I ended up with them. My mothers days gift that year was standing outside with the kids (1 and 2 at the time) all of us digging a hole to build a pond. Now I have a nice water feature with a rock water fall.

Chicken info is abundant, ducks you really have to look around for it.

Oh, and I don't house my ducks at all, ever. The have a converted outhouse where I keep their food during the winter and it provides a wind break for them. That's it. I kept them in an extra large dog kennel until they were mostly grown during the night now they prefer to stay out all the time unless temps are waaaay low and windy.

We have 3 hens and 2 ducks (the ducks are part-Indian Runner). Ducks are far more amusing and have more personality than chickens, and, in our experience, are very reliable layers. However, ducks do turn everything into a muddy mess, and female ducks are very noisy! I personally like ducks a lot more than chickens, but if you have neighbors close and don't want to deal with mud, chickens might work better.

Hello, Contrary to false information and popular "belief", ducks do NOT need constant water other than enough to drink and get their face wet to keep their faces clean and for a bit of preening. Ducks aren't as hostile to each other as chickens are in crowded conditions. Chickens can be cannibalistic very quickly under stress. Ducks are friendlier with people. Drakes don't crow like roosters do at 3:00 in the AM. I have 24 chickens as well as some ducks but ducks are much more personable. I have cooked duck eggs for friends and they didn't even know it when I told them after breakfast. What ever you choose....enjoy.

Regarding info about ducks....go to Metzer Farm blogs. John has a wealth of GREAT info about caring for ducks and.....it's all in layman's terminoligy too.

wink.png
I have both and if you want to raise just for fun I would say get some type of Bantum, ducks make a mess in such a small area. If you want the eggs buy some type of production hens and no need for a rooster unless you like the crowing.
The egg Man

Do both! I couldn't decide either,,so I separated the fenced area and have 3 ducks on one side and my hens on the other with their own coop.
it's true that ducks are terribly messy,and smelly,,and you definitely want to keep the two separated! I mixed the two for a couple years and I found more
hens caught colds and weren't as happy as they are on their own,,the water was always a huge problem. So now,the ducks have their "doghouse" and have
their own small pond I built this year and the hens have their side,it's great! If you have the space , I would do that!
smile.png

I prefer ducks...if you get a new duck the other ducks don't really freak out...they accept the new bird and act like they have known each other forever. But with chickens it like their whole world is ending because there is a new bird its kinda annoying. And ducks are more relaxed and they are funny to watch.

Ducks are more hardy than chickens.

Ducklings are adorable and they never stop being adorable even after they become adults. Chicks are ugly from day one until they are adults and even then they are sometimes ugly lol I think baby chicks look evil. But that's just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom