Ducks or chickens (repost from "Managing your flock" section).

GardenerMoon

Hatching
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Hi I'm a new poster to BYC (though a long-term stalker of the forums) and first of all would like to say hi! :D

Anyway, I'm considering adding some poultry to my garden to go along with the vegetable and fruit patch I have started this year. However I am having difficulty choosing between chickens and ducks, what would you suggest? I think that this has been heavily debated in the past but I'd still like to hear from you all:) So far these are the things I like in each:

Ducks:
- I can have males and females in our semi-urban setting, which means babies :D
- Good layers
- Can eat garden pests such as slugs (do chickens eat slugs and snails?)

Chickens:
- Many coloured eggs and pretty breeds!
- Seem to be simpler in care?
- I have heard they are less messy?

One thing I am struggling to get info on is noise levels, would you say duck breeds such as welsh harlequin, khaki campbell and runners are any quieter/louder than laying hens? I don't want to upset my neighbours so this is a quite important factor.Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
You've got a pretty good list of pros and cons there.
Chickens will also till your garden after the harvest with their claws and mow down any leftover plants. A nice benefit for a garden.

My campbells haven't been too noisy in the past, but they will walk around quacking quite a bit. My current young ones make a whole lot of noise. Loud quacking as soon as the sun comes up and any time they want something. I'm hoping they tone it down a bit or I may have a problem.

You've got a pretty good list of pros and cons there.
Chickens will also till your garden after the harvest with their claws and mow down any leftover plants. A nice benefit for a garden.

My campbells haven't been too noisy in the past, but they will walk around quacking quite a bit. My current young ones make a whole lot of noise. Loud quacking as soon as the sun comes up and any time they want something. I'm hoping they tone it down a bit or I may have a problem.
Okay thank you so much! Would you say the ducks are louder than the chickens? That's the one thing I'm really worried about.

Back
Top Bottom