Ducks panting but seem ok

Thanks. They don't like being caught but they love being in there. We are starting to try and train them to get out on their own. They are warming up to getting out and walking over to the ramp. I can't wait for them to start laying. My wife has never had a duck eggs. Been many years since I have had any but I have never forgotten how they taste.
This is just my after thought when you say" They don't like being caught but they love it in there" I am guessing just like my ducks if you surprise or startle them while in the water they panic and freak out to get out of the pool in a hurry, correct? I am in the process of upgrading to a larger pool that is much higher like yours. I worry about them getting startled and wanting to come out and over the edge of the pool with no guard around it and dropping to the ground and possible injuring a leg or something. I am going to build a type of surround around the pool to help prevent this, so they would have no choice but to use the steps to get in and out. Just me being an over protected duck lover is all. :love

This is just my after thought when you say" They don't like being caught but they love it in there" I am guessing just like my ducks if you surprise or startle them while in the water they panic and freak out to get out of the pool in a hurry, correct? I am in the process of upgrading to a larger pool that is much higher like yours. I worry about them getting startled and wanting to come out and over the edge of the pool with no guard around it and dropping to the ground and possible injuring a leg or something. I am going to build a type of surround around the pool to help prevent this, so they would have no choice but to use the steps to get in and out. Just me being an over protected duck lover is all. :love

We just don't fill the tub up all the way. If the water is to the top they can scoot out on their own. If the water is about 3/4 the way up they can't get out. The sides are smooth, hard plastic. But yes if you come close to them in the pool or pretty much anywhere for that matter they freak out...lol. Only time is when I have a hand full of meal worms....lol.

IMO, In a situation where it is that hot out I would have moved your 6 baby ducklings inside to a cooler area to escape the extreme outside temps. As babies they do not have the feathers [insulation] like an adult duck to help protect them from the extreme hot and cold conditions outside. Your good intentions of trying to cool them down with a hose does more harm [stress] then good, to much of a quick temperature drop can put them into shock. I would also be wanting to give your whole flock some type of electrolytes in their drinking water to help them all deal better with the extreme heat. Good Luck. :)
Thanks for your comment. I have temp guages in both my duck sheds and the readings were the same as outside. The only other slightly cooler place was in my house and with 2 dogs it would have been impossible to bring them inside. However, I don't think hosing them down on sprinkler setting did them any harm or caused them stress, in fact, a few of the ducklings were playing with the water sprinkler. Moreover, I was hosing the grass down so they had something cool to lie on and, of course, giving them electrolytes in their water. Nevertheless, the temperatures and weather in the UK has now gone back to normal - around 20oC and raining!

Back
Top Bottom