Ducks panting but seem ok

They swam some more today. Their wings are getting bigger. My grandbaby loves to sit out there with them and the chicks. One of the chicks jumped on her shoulder today. She was so excited.....lol

Cute little Babies ! :love
Thanks.....here is our pond just finished up. It's tied into the sewer clean out so we can dump without making a mess. I also have a shallow well in the back yard so the water is pretty much free.

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_152145.jpg
    IMG_20200628_152145.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200628_152140.jpg
    IMG_20200628_152140.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200628_152031.jpg
    IMG_20200628_152031.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 6
Thanks. They don't like being caught but they love being in there. We are starting to try and train them to get out on their own. They are warming up to getting out and walking over to the ramp. I can't wait for them to start laying. My wife has never had a duck eggs. Been many years since I have had any but I have never forgotten how they taste.

We had temperatures of 33 degrees C in the UK last week and my 6 nine week old ducklings struggled in the heat too. Lots of panting and their little tongues hanging out. They had access to a shady area and pond and water but were still panting. In contrast, my adult ducks, although hot, were not panting so I'm guessing that ducklings struggle to regulate their temperatures. I just had to keep going out to their run and hosing them down every hour.

I'm new to ducks but I can certainly tell you that the temperatures you're getting are too hot for the ducks. From what I've learned here and elsewhere, anything above 90-95* is too hot for ducklings.

We had temperatures of 33 degrees C in the UK last week and my 6 nine week old ducklings struggled in the heat too. Lots of panting and their little tongues hanging out. They had access to a shady area and pond and water but were still panting. In contrast, my adult ducks, although hot, were not panting so I'm guessing that ducklings struggle to regulate their temperatures. I just had to keep going out to their run and hosing them down every hour.
IMO, In a situation where it is that hot out I would have moved your 6 baby ducklings inside to a cooler area to escape the extreme outside temps. As babies they do not have the feathers [insulation] like an adult duck to help protect them from the extreme hot and cold conditions outside. Your good intentions of trying to cool them down with a hose does more harm [stress] then good, to much of a quick temperature drop can put them into shock. I would also be wanting to give your whole flock some type of electrolytes in their drinking water to help them all deal better with the extreme heat. Good Luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom