ducks pleas reply

Sometimes they like to find a place, like a nesting box, to make a clutch of eggs. Muscovy hens will usually lay every egg of their clutch in the same spot, other mallard derived breeds will sometimes drop out eggs randomly in the run or out in the grass while free ranging. I have gotten my rouens to use a dog crate as their nesting box and I would say 90% of the time they lay in there but I still do find eggs out in the grass, in puddles, or in the run sometimes. I have seen them pop out an egg while walking and not even look back at it, it's almost like they don't even notice when they lay one, they make chicken hens look like drama queens.

Sometimes they like to find a place, like a nesting box, to make a clutch of eggs. Muscovy hens will usually lay every egg of their clutch in the same spot, other mallard derived breeds will sometimes drop out eggs randomly in the run or out in the grass while free ranging. I have gotten my rouens to use a dog crate as their nesting box and I would say 90% of the time they lay in there but I still do find eggs out in the grass, in puddles, or in the run sometimes. I have seen them pop out an egg while walking and not even look back at it, it's almost like they don't even notice when they lay one, they make chicken hens look like drama queens.
:lau:gig

I believe khaki Campbell ducks and golden layers I think lay the most eggs. But I prefer the welsh harlequin ducks. I think they a pretty. But theres lots of things to consider like temperment and character, there ability to forage. My welsh dint eat alot of feed because they are extremely good at foraging while free ranging.
do i have to build a coop jest for the ducks?

For mallard derived ducks I would suggest keeping them seperate from the chickens if you get drakes and hens. Drakes can be very violent with chickens. I have not had problems with Muscovy drakes and chickens. Call duck drakes might also be able to get along with chickens, I have never had them but I don't think such a small bird could do much damage to a large chicken. Ducks can also be very messy and make a lot of mud in the run, this can get the hens dirty if the rooster decides to mount them in the mud, it is also not healthy for a chicken's feet to be walking through the mud all the time. To reduce the amount of mud in my run I do not give the ducks any swimming water inside the run, I also have their water on a board and wire wrapped around it to keep them out. The wire is 2x4 but I cut it to be 4x4 so they could easily fit their heads through. This has reduced the amount of mud in my run but it still gets muddy and the ducks still make their water dirty.
36529554_1002717773237673_3652958891718737920_n.jpg

I have a rock in there to stop them from scooting it around. I still need to change the water at least twice a day, the ducks are experts at making mud and they use the water bowl as their cooking pot.

You can keep a group of all females they will try to dominate each other however I would recommend at least 1 male per a ratio of two females. Ducks need enough water to completely submerge their bill. They need this in order to help clear their nostrils and alow them to respirate. Hope this helps :)
They need to be able to dunk their eyes under the water as well.

Hello..
I keep my Ducks separated from my Chickens. I have Calls and huge Chickens. My Calls hate the Chickens and chase them if they can.
Ducks aren't for everyone..I have one Drake per breeding group of Hens and they live separately during breeding season.
Collect your eggs daily and you won't have Ducklings to worry about.

• 1 what breed of ducks are heat hardy?
I am in San Antonio. I have Pekin, Muscovy, Runner, Rouen. They are do fine in my back yard. They have one large bush to sit under, plus trees. They pant like a dog, but they all come running when I go outside, whether it is 105 or 95.
  • 4 do ducks need water to swim in?
They don't have to have water to swim, but they need several containers that are deep enough to dunk their heads in. I have two baby pools for baths and floating, and three water containers in my yard for drinking. But, just know, no matter what you give them for drinking water, they WILL try and sit in it. I've tried all shapes and sizes of containers, and it doesn't matter...
  • do i have to get special food for them or can i feed them chicken feed?
I went to a feed store here in town and was given a starter crumble. I supplement their diet with cut up grapes, tomatoes, romaine lettuce and watermelon. I hand feed those and they go crazy for their treats.

Back
Top Bottom