Ducks running away

Isabella Mcadams

Songster
Apr 14, 2021
Hey there, I have 3 adult ducks and two 5 week old ducklings. My 3 adults are free range, while the ducklings are still in a brooder. In our backyard we have a large bayou (kind of like a river, but on a slightly smaller scale) do any of y’all know a way to keep my ducks from going into the bayou? They’ve done it a few times and have not returned on their own accord.

I’m worried for their safety because we tend to have large alligators in the water.

You need to separate a pen for them, or provide a fenced area for them to roam. They will go into there if you don't, and if there are alligators the chances of duck fatalities are pretty good. The cheapest way to do it would probably be to just get some like 4' garden fence and set up an area for them, and clip their flight feathers so they can't fly out.

We have friends who use an electric fence for their ducks, a permanent fence would probably be better but an electric fence could be moved around. If they have a nice kiddie pool full of clean water they would be very happy. Our drake is very picky about having clean water, if it's too dirty he won't touch it. Maybe if they had a bigger clean water source they wouldn't bother with the bayou :confused:

Back
Top Bottom