Ducks stated laying... Few questions

Sublime69

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
I have 6 ducks (4 hens 2 drakes). They just started laying. Well one has. I have a few questions.

I let them free range all day. They have been laying in the coop over night or early in the morning. Can they lay while free ranging? Or will they always lay in the coop? Do they lay at the same time every day?

Do I need to refrigerate the eggs?
Do I just clean them off with water?
And lastly, how long are the eggs good for?

Thanks!

I have 6 ducks (4 hens 2 drakes). They just started laying. Well one has. I have a few questions.

I let them free range all day. They have been laying in the coop over night or early in the morning. Can they lay while free ranging? Or will they always lay in the coop? Do they lay at the same time every day?

Do I need to refrigerate the eggs?
Do I just clean them off with water?
And lastly, how long are the eggs good for?

Thanks!
I think I may have a few answers for you: I have three ducks all laying since december, If you clean the eggs off with water you will need to refrigerate them because you are washing off the protective layer so they will not keep. The eggs usually last for about two weeks. I hope this helps!

I don't refrigerate and eggs last over a month - even if I wash with water.
If in doubt just pop your egg in a cup of water, if it lifts off the bottom (not just standing up but with a gap underneath) then it's gone off.

Back
Top Bottom