Ducks Still arnt laying!

My scovie females used to stop around Oct and typically began to resume come Feb

I have winter and never light any birds, I know some breeds are better layers than others too

So I found this hole in the back of the coop. It's about 4-5 inches wide. Could I have a rat or something stealing eggs?
20191202_122929.jpg

Lol theres always conflicting responses with ducks I feel like. When I posted in June someone said that her ducks don't lay in the hottest months of the year...... also I'm supplementing with light. Its working for my chickens in the mobile coop. But not for my ducks in the run.
That was me. My ducks went on strike during late spring until September (maybe 3-4 eggs a week) and then it was full tilt boogy. All 7 girls laying every single day. About a month ago my 3 runners started molting and they have stopped laying for the season again I assume. I am still getting 4-5 eggs a day though. I think a lot depends on the duck I guess. I am just winging it. :D

So I found this hole in the back of the coop. It's about 4-5 inches wide. Could I have a rat or something stealing eggs?

It seems unlikely. Somehow a rat stole eggs from your ducks without being detected or leaving evidence like broken shells etc? Not seeing that.

Have you talked to a veterinarian to see if there was some organic/medical cause for the "egg drop?"

So I found this hole in the back of the coop. It's about 4-5 inches wide. Could I have a rat or something stealing eggs?View attachment 1973296
If I were you I'd run hardware cloth all along the bottom of your coop and out onto the ground for about 2 feet or so.

Over to the left on your picture is that light coming from outside? If so, just about anything can get in there! I'd be really worried about minks or weasels getting in there with no problem and they will kill all your ducks! Even baby racoons or possums could dig there way in.

If I were you I'd run hardware cloth all along the bottom of your coop and out onto the ground for about 2 feet or so.

Over to the left on your picture is that light coming from outside? If so, just about anything can get in there! I'd be really worried about minks or weasels getting in there with no problem and they will kill all your ducks! Even baby racoons or possums could dig there way in.

I know it looks like theres no hardware cloth there but there is. We have really wet ground so we but our bottom wooden supports up off the ground on a block. Then dug a 2ft deep trench around it and put 4 ft hardware cloth, 2ft above and 2ft below the ground all the way around. I think it's a mole. There tunnels I keep stepping on inside the enclosure. The only thing I can think of is he crawled in through the door. Unless the can go two ft below ground. The yellow spot is where the hole is.
Screenshot_20191223-130007_Samsung Notes.jpg

Back
Top Bottom