Ducks swim in open water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laurenlin123, Jun 30, 2016.

1. laurenlin123

laurenlin123 New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    Norway
    I have recently ordered 6 Indian Runner duck eggs, will try to hatch them and raise them up.

There is a lake about 200 metres behind our house (there is a public road between our property and the lake, it is a bit inconvenient for the ducks to cross the road). I wonder what I should do, to build a pond in the yard or to let them swim in the open water? Has anyone had any experience on herding ducks to the open water? I am quite concerned since this place is quite popular among dog walkers....also is it possible to recall them from the lake? I can imagine it would be nightmare to get the boat out and chase them all over the lake to get them back home....

What would be the best option? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd put up a fence and keep them home. Crossing the road can be life threatening but crossing the road where dogs maybe off leash will really be life threatening so Put up a fence and give the the largest kiddy pool you can find they will be just as happy and will be safe.

That lake is beautiful and perfect for wild water fowl that can fly in and not have to walk across a road to get to it, call me over protective but that is the way I see it]

Even if you did herd them across to the lake it would eventually be near to impossible to get them home. I have a body of water right close too and I don't let my water fowl go down to it. Too many things in the way preds for one. They are very happy with their pools.

I am in love with my Runners my Muscovy's hatched out 12 and they are 9 weeks old tomorrow. Keep us updated.

Welcome to BYC @laurenlin123

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by