Ducks versus Geese -

Pop it warms my heart to read how much you and the boys are enjoying the goslings. Keep sharing those stories, always love reading them. If she hides eggs on me again next year and you want the, we will make arrangements to send them up again.

I'd love to hear your stories "pop".
big_smile.png
. I'm anxiously waiting for 2 pairs of Blue Americans...
OK, one more, for now. Snowball and Snowflake were my first geese, about twelve years ago. Snowball hated my wifes housecoat and every time she enterred the chicken yard, Snowball would attack. Sandee decided she would hold class for the errant gander. She began grabbing his scrawney neck and scolding him as he executed a hard reverse. This went well for a couple days, but on the third morning she missed and he didn't. He got a strangle hold on her breast. The bruise was immense. The next day was her scheduled mamagram. The little stern faced Jewish doctor, that never cracked a smile, and was a no nonsense kinda person, lost total control when Sandee exclaimed "My goose did it".
Now, Snowball caught on to the lessons in short order and became the life of the party. We have always entertained and often. Snowball was the main attraction whenever social functions included the outdoors. Dignified guests were seen sitting on the ground with snowball in their lap and sitting in a lawn chair was unheard off without that silly clown draping his neck over your arm and trumpeting for attention. Did anyone ever mention that geese do not come with volumn controls? The elderly visitors raved about Snowball for years afterward. I gotta stop. That's all, for now.........Pop

Pop it warms my heart to read how much you and the boys are enjoying the goslings. Keep sharing those stories, always love reading them. If she hides eggs on me again next year and you want the, we will make arrangements to send them up again.
I'll look forward to that, Shellie. I can't seem to keep a nest together long enough to get a clutch. To many predators on my mountain. Booger (the dog), is now doing a remarkable job protecting my fowl, but my geese have always started a nest in a more remote setting and the nests are quickly robbed. Same with the guineas. We'll see. Nice to have a source..........Pop

As said before- they will hold a conversation with you. From the minute they hatch. You can let them out any time of day, and put them right back if a storm is coming.
And they grieve. And when they do- you feel it too.

Oh my word. I surely did open a can of worms for myself here. Sigh. Guess I'll be doing some research...my DH actually wanted geese - we were at a poultry show last fall with some Jersey Giants, and there was a stock trailer there with a piece of plywood in the back...we heard commotion and went to look over the plywood partition, and there were about 8 geese - I don't know what breed, they were stock, gray bodied, with bright orange feet, shorter necks than I remember geese having as a child. Anyway, to me, at the itme, they were HUGE! DH said, "I think I'd really like to have some geese on the farm...." I said, "NO WAY - they are HUGE! Maybe we can get a couple of ducks first, and see how we like them. If they work out, then we'll move on to geese."

As I read the replies here, though, it sounds like we should have STARTED with geese and then moved on to ducks - sounds like geese are much easier!

Pop, thanks for your stories.
HappyMtn - when you mentioned that they grieve...that grabbed my heart. I can't say I've ever felt like any of my chickens have done so.

Sigh.....thanks, everyone!

Last edited:
What an interesting thread to read, i don't think the answers here have given you much reason not too.. is that what you wanted to hear though lol
hide.gif
Maybe i should add some geese perhaps that'll keep that pair of young 'scovie drakes that i have in line!
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
Wynette, you will enjoy them if you do add them to your life. Yes they grieve and will call for one another. Not all are as tall as the African and Chinese geese, or as heavy as the dewlap Toulouse. Geese really do have a wide enough variety to offer something for everyone's likes.

[[[[.......question: AM I DESTINED TO BE A GOOSE OWNER SOME DAY? .....]]]]]

Goodness, yes, Wynette. Give geese a chance.

And not to be a troublemaker, but if you want a lovely bird to be around, give turkeys a try, too. They are adorable.

I'm glad you mentioned turkeys, we love our slate blue turkey, Giblet (lol), she has the sweetest personality, and is destined to be a great mother. We have 3 baby slate blue's coming so she can have a mate and a friend (I think she's been pretty lonely being the only turk around here). She's been trying very hard to mate this spring and has been trying to brood infertile eggs. She's a good girl, she's absolutely amazing, and she is really like part of the family!

My Gander Sammy has been papa to all the duckling hatched this spring and one of my Muscovy ducks is sitting now, when she comes out for a breathe of fresh air Sammy goes in and stands by her nest.
love.gif
He tries to be such a tough guy.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom