Ducks + Wet Feather in Winter?

graken

Hatching
Aug 1, 2021
This is my first winter with ducks and only my second with chickens, so I’m very new to all of this. I have a flock of 6 ducks that I hatched this summer, so they’re about 20 weeks.

Winter is very near, and its gotten cold enough that their pool freezes near solid, so I switched it out for a bucket yesterday. However, in just these 2 days, I’ve noticed that they seem very damp after preening. I’m not 100% sure if this is in fact wet feather, as they are not fully soaked. I thought they’d be alright since their bucket is deep enough for them to dunk their heads and necks in. I didn’t notice them being damp when they still had their pool, but I can’t say I really checked them, so I can’t be sure. The water is clean, so I don’t think that’s the issue. I have not checked them for parasites and I’m not sure how to check their oil glands for infection, so I can’t rule that out yet. Could just because of the cold? Again, they’re not fully soaked. I’m not sure what to do here! (Feeling like a bit of an over dramatic mother hen here, but I don’t want them to freeze!)

I know many recommend bathing the ducks in some dawn dish soap and letting them fully dry, but also that wet feather may not truly be resolved until after a molt. Can it hurt to bathe them if it’s not actually wet feather? I’m thinking of putting their pool back, but I don’t want them to dive in and freeze themselves! I’m looking into some ways to keep the pool from freezing if I decide to put it back. Maybe a pond deicer or a fish tank aerator? Ping pong balls are a good idea, but I’m not sure what good that will do come January when it’s 8°F every morning. However, I’d rather get this issue resolved asap and worry about January when it gets here. Any help with any of this is greatly appreciated!

Do you have photos? This time of the year ducks molt and it may not be wet feather.
If wet feather, you only have to clean the preening gland. Sometimes just a warm cloth will work to dislodge any dirt. Other times maybe a using a tiny bit of soap and a warm cloth on the preening gland. I wouldn't advise bathing them fully in dawn dish soap.
It can take days to weeks to resolve depending on how severe. While treating you limit their water so they only have access to drinking water.
The condition of their feathers will most likely not bounce back until after the molt. But, wet feather makes it so their feathers aren't able to wick away the water so they can't stay dry.
What type of ducks do you have?

Back
Top Bottom