Ducks & Winter

HoneyBunny86

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2018
Hi there,
This is going to be my first winter with ducks. We have 1 female Welsh harlequin and 1 muscovy drake. We're expecting near freezing temps here in Oregon this coming week and I'm concerned about it. They're both fully mature, but will they still require heat? I do have a infrared heating plate, but I'm terrified that our big, clumsy drake will knock it over and start a fire! They do have a "house" they go into every night. Any input will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Hello I'm from central Alberta, Canada and it was -8C so if my Calls can survive Alberta temps yours will definitely be okay. No need to heat but dry straw and a covered shelter out of the elements if they choose to huddle up.

The only time i ever heated my ducks was when one dumb bunny of a scovie decided and successfully hatched a clutch in Feb(im in Canada...) after that? no never, TBH most ducks do just fine if they have access to get out of the wind and snow, hail etc..

Hello I'm from central Alberta, Canada and it was -8C so if my Calls can survive Alberta temps yours will definitely be okay. No need to heat but dry straw and a covered shelter out of the elements if they choose to huddle up.

Call are crazy, crazy winter hardy... they maybe the smallest things but they always shock me with their i don't care it's -30C out way of being... i will swim with ice anyways.

I'm still not 100% clear on when my WH ducks can stay outside full time. They're 7 weeks old now, they still have some fuzz. I was going to move them out once they're fuzz free...but what if it's 20 degrees at night?

Back
Top Bottom