Ducks with fleas

Resurrecting this thread ... I came home from being gone for 36 hours and noticed what look like fleas in the ducks bedding! I have never seen anything like this and I don’t know what to do! I’m horrified!

@Miss Lydia, Do you have any suggestions? The bugs I’m seeing look like fruit flies (and I thought that’s what they were at first) until I realized they were darker in color and weren’t really flying but hopping around.

Attachments

• 2DCE3B52-356B-410E-8B0B-95D7C2957094.jpeg
    2DCE3B52-356B-410E-8B0B-95D7C2957094.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 56
Resurrecting this thread ... I came home from being gone for 36 hours and noticed what look like fleas in the ducks bedding! I have never seen anything like this and I don’t know what to do! I’m horrified!

@Miss Lydia, Do you have any suggestions? The bugs I’m seeing look like fruit flies (and I thought that’s what they were at first) until I realized they were darker in color and weren’t really flying but hopping around.
Those look like gnats. Gnats are attracted to moisture and of course poo. I had them all over the duck house - I sprayed it with a natural product and it worked. We have had a lot of rain lately.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gnats-in-the-duck-house-but-not-the-chicken-coop.1254784/

I posted the thread, because I put pics of the product there. That has a soap in it as well as other stuff, but it killed the gnats on contact.

The other stuff is very similar and I got it at tsc But, like what you would spray on plants to keep mites and such off, it contains soap to coat and smother them.
I have both. I just used the pure planet poultry spray and it worked on contact.

Back
Top Bottom