Ducks with sores on feet

I think you have a basic misunderstanding of what infection is. Your duck meets the very criteria that you put forth. Just because there is no puss does not mean its not infected. Also If the foot is not infected why are you treating it as if its infected. Antibiotic ointment is for infection. I also want to point out that isaac o said your duck has bumble foot just in different words.

I ordered duck booties online for one of my girls recovering from bumblefoot. They were inexpensive and very well made.

Bumblefoot or not, maybe your drake needs some bandages with cushions and some down time.

He definitely has footpad dermatitis it's not merely one bumblefoot nodule, but is in the early stage which is not infected. But the bigger issue is WHY he is only a baby and I take care of my birds. And he is the only one and has none of the contributing factors. So I did find that biotin deficiency can contribute to footpad conditions in poultry and waterfowl but I feed Purina so he should not have a deficiency at all. However maybe he has picked up a worm. Maybe he has coccidiosis. I don't know.

I have to fix why he has it in the first place and care for the ones he has or I am just waiting for an infection to set in.

I think you have a basic misunderstanding of what infection is. Your duck meets the very criteria that you put forth. Just because there is no puss does not mean its not infected. Also If the foot is not infected why are you treating it as if its infected. Antibiotic ointment is for infection. I also want to point out that isaac o said your duck has bumble foot just in different words.
My duck does not meet the criteria which is why I mentioned the criteria. I feel sorry for ducks whose owners think they know sooooo much and then do surgery on their poor little feet and don't find an infection at all and then they spread that misinformation to other members. I can't believe you are even arguing over this because you obviously haven't got a clue what an infection really is. So stop arguing with me and stop contributing to this thread since you are just trying to start an argument.

ETA: I'm putting antibiotic ointment on it because he scraped one of the nodules.

So I talked to my vet and she said it is a developmental issue and he could be dragging his feet on the ground. She also mentioned it could be from too much protein, the developmental issue.

Last edited:
My duck does not meet the criteria which is why I mentioned the criteria. I feel sorry for ducks whose owners think they know sooooo much and then do surgery on their poor little feet and don't find an infection at all and then they spread that misinformation to other members. I can't believe you are even arguing over this because you obviously haven't got a clue what an infection really is. So stop arguing with me and stop contributing to this thread since you are just trying to start an argument.

ETA: I'm putting antibiotic ointment on it because he scraped one of the nodules.
What do you think caused the nodules to form? Bacteria is the answer. Infection is the bodys response to an invasion of foreign organisms. Said another way. Swelling is one of the signs, the nodule is swelling. You dont have to have all 4 signs to be an infection.

What do you think caused the nodules to form? Bacteria is the answer. Infection is the bodys response to an invasion of foreign organisms. Said another way. Swelling is one of the signs, the nodule is swelling. You dont have to have all 4 signs to be an infection.
It is a nodule. Not swelling.
Yes you do need all 4 signs because they go together..it is a process. I'm not arguing with you anymore..please move onto someone else's thread.

Back
Top Bottom