Ducks with wet feather after Oregon fires

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
It finally rained and all the ash and smoke is cleared from our sky! I'm so grateful for the rain but did notice my ducks look a mess. They were muddy and soggy looking so I let them out to put new bedding in their run. They immediately ran for their pool and all started a nice vigorous bath; however, when they came out I realized they weren't just muddy, they were completely sopping wet as in they have no water proofness to them. They were nice and glossy and waterproof before the fires and now I'm wondering of the ash in the air could have destroyed their waterproof coat? How can I help them? I can't hand wash them all individually since they live on bare land and I would have to drive them each home and then back again.
20200918_225347.jpg

Hi everyone, so my ducks are still not waterproof! They have been able to wash off in clean water daily but every day they come out looking sad and soggy. Any other ideas? The rainy season is around the corner and this weeks rain has them looking really pitiful.
20201013_164837.jpg

Hi everyone, so my ducks are still not waterproof! They have been able to wash off in clean water daily but every day they come out looking sad and soggy. Any other ideas? The rainy season is around the corner and this weeks rain has them looking really pitiful.View attachment 2373609

Sadly, there is not much you can do about it, other than wait. They may have to go through a molt to completely gain back their water repellent abilities back.

Is it possible that they still have some sort of residue on them keeping them from regaining their water proofness? They preen often but without any improvement. If they just need the residue washed off, I could dump some dawn in their pool and rub them each sudsie and rinse them off. It'll probably kill all the grass around their pool but :confused:

Is it possible that they still have some sort of residue on them keeping them from regaining their water proofness? They preen often but without any improvement. If they just need the residue washed off, I could dump some dawn in their pool and rub them each sudsie and rinse them off. It'll probably kill all the grass around their pool but :confused:

Dawn soap will make the problem much worse, and that comes from experience. It should only be used in cases of dermal toxicosis like oil spills, other than that all it's going to do is strip whatever oils they do have left off. The best thing you can do is provide clean water, and leave them be.

I agree. The ash was basic PH like lye. It stripped the oils, it will just take time. Make sure that have a warm place to sleep at night. I had this happen when mine discovered the sewer sprayer and I didn't figure it out for a few days until I caught them playing in it. So they were playing in bleach water every day. It took 2-3 weeks for them to get back to water resistant.

Back
Top Bottom