ducks

Raven4444

Hatching
Jan 13, 2016
I have a female that has stopped laying for several months. She use to lay an egg a day. She is about 3-4 years old.
I looked on your reasons for ducks not laying and none of those reasons match. She has a mate and they have a great home. I have been feeding her chicken laying crumbles ever since she was little and has always eaten that even when she was laying. I moved her to a higher protein and mixed it with the crumble, doesn't seem to like it as well.

Can you give me another reason why she may have quit laying?
Thanks

IMHO, it's called short days. Days are getting longer now so you should see some soon.

Are you saying you fed her layer feed well before she was laying? That's a possibility too.

Last edited:
Assuming you live in the northern hemisphere, this could just be natural. As ChickenCanoe stated, the days are shorter and she is getting less sunlight. If she has been laying an egg a day for 3-4 years she is due for a rest period. Ducks need to take breaks every so often. As long as she is acting normal and not showing any signs of distress I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the speedy reply
We live in Phoenix area
It has been over a year since she last laid.
We do have some mice, ground squirrels, snakes and pack rats in our area.
Do you think that they might be getting the eggs before I see them. Although there is not any shells laying around.

Anything is possible.
Egg shells should be around if there is an egg eater unless it is a snake that eats them whole.
But you haven't answered the question about how long she has been eating layer feed.

If she got layer feed as a young bird and throughout years of not laying, I'd consider kidney damage and gout.

If it has been a year then that is a different story. I think you are right to suspect an egg thief. Snakes and rats will defiantly eat eggs. Snakes will take them whole so you wouldn't see any evidence. Is the nesting area predator proof?

Do you let them free range? If a duck thinks the nest isn't secure it may seek out a new nest. She might be laying in a different place everyday that is not secure and something is taking the eggs.

I should also mention that it could be a person stealing your eggs. Some people have had that problem.

Back
Top Bottom