Ducky having trouble laying

Ellyhutch

Songster
Dec 15, 2020
For the past few days my house Muscovy, Cheech, has been having a lot of trouble laying her egg. She seems like she just can't get comfortable. Admittedly, I have kind of spoiled her, letting her lay in my bed for a while. But I ended up making her a wonderful enclosed space under a table filled with sheets and shirts and pillow cases and she happily spent a lot of time getting comfy and laying in there for a few days. However, yesterday and today she refuses to go in, and instead seems like she wants to lay right next to me. I don't have the time to sit with her on the couch for half an hour while she lays. I know that the days getting colder and shorter can affect their laying behavior, but her energy and stress and pacing is really upsetting me. What can I do to help her? Why do you think she is no longer interested in her space after laying there for days in a row?

Its possible that she could just be lonely without any other musvovys and its stressing her out. They are very social but they don't speak the same language as other ducks like the Ancona so for them to have a good friend it needs to be another muscovy I would try and get her a muscovy friend if I was you.
She might just be following you around and hanging out with you because she is feeling lonely.

Its possible that she could just be lonely without any other musvovys and its stressing her out. They are very social but they don't speak the same language as other ducks like the Ancona so for them to have a good friend it needs to be another muscovy I would try and get her a muscovy friend if I was you.
She might just be following you around and hanging out with you because she is feeling lonely.

Is she particularly lonely because she's laying? Because normally she and the Ancona get along super well and have a great time destroying my house lol. I've never gotten the impression she's lonely before this. But that is a good thought. I'm not sure if my house can handle another duck though. Two is pushing it. Do you think she'll be okay until the summer when I move and can get more ducks? I'll move them outside at that point.

Lol I definitely feel you I had house ducks for like 6 months they are such a pain 😂😂 but yeah I suppose she could just be hormonal and that could make her more anxious for sure. I'd say if you can't get another muscovy for her just spend as much time as you can with her to make sure she isn't lonely, and when you eventually do get her another friend id go for another female muscovy. And make sure she has oyster shell out so she can get all the calcium she needs to make those eggs.

Lol I definitely feel you I had house ducks for like 6 months they are such a pain 😂😂 but yeah I suppose she could just be hormonal and that could make her more anxious for sure. I'd say if you can't get another muscovy for her just spend as much time as you can with her to make sure she isn't lonely, and when you eventually do get her another friend id go for another female muscovy. And make sure she has oyster shell out so she can get all the calcium she needs to make those eggs.

Her eggs have been hard as a rock so I haven't given her any calcium yet but I have it! Thanks so much for your advice. I adore them but they certainly are not meant to be house pets! I can't wait to get a bunch to free range at my next home!

No problem I wouldn't worry about her laying too much, especially if she is young. But even if her shells are hard its still good to give her oyster shell generally they will know how much of it they need.

No problem I wouldn't worry about her laying too much, especially if she is young. But even if her shells are hard its still good to give her oyster shell generally they will know how much of it they need.

She will be 8 months on January 3 ❤️ we are pretty sure we found her the day she was born. I've read that if drakes eat oyster shell it can cause kidney problems. Is it safe to leave it out with him in their shared pen?

He might nibble at it out of curiosity but usually drakes won't really eat it. I would put it in there and just keep an eye on him to make sure he's not eating it.

Back
Top Bottom