Ducky Houses

Cassie Collins

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Texas
Can you all post pics of your ducky houses & runs to help us newbies? Everything I see is for chickens or rabbits. Now I am a newbie, but I can clearly see the diff b/w ducks, chickens & rabbits!! All the pre-made houses seem to need some alterations. For instance, the ramp outta the coop seems steep for duck legs & feet.

Can you all post pics of your ducky houses & runs to help us newbies? Everything I see is for chickens or rabbits. Now I am a newbie, but I can clearly see the diff b/w ducks, chickens & rabbits!! All the pre-made houses seem to need some alterations. For instance, the ramp outta the coop seems steep for duck legs & feet.

I am building one right now, only a bit if work left. I will post pics tomorrow!

One i like for a few ducks is this one.. yes, it's technically a chicken coop BUT since there is no ramp, and it's roomy it will work fine for various sized ducks... I actually has this for my calls, too big lol so it's going to go to some chickens but sometimes my scovies will check it out so i can see it will hold several large waterfowl nicely.

I do have a bigger barn, and i have another coop a converted crate but neither have actual instructions so this is the one i show since it i used the plans in the book for.

Here's a doghouse that I picked up on craigslist. I hinged the roof (to get in and collect eggs/clean) and hit it all with a coat of stain to protect the wood. As you can see, the flooring is removable, so it'll be easy enough to replace with laminate-covered plywood when it starts getting skanky.

Our enclosure is a 12x12x6' pen that will be safe from predators. They will have free reign of this area except when we are out in our fenced yard for supervised free ranging.

And here's our build-journal on my blog
http://www.homeindisarray.com/search/label/ducks

The Quack Shack

I built this myself mostly from 1 3/8"x 10' chain link fence materials from Lowe's with 4'x6' Ondura roof panels on top. It ran me about $600. It has an open floor with retractable wheels. Once a week I move it to a fresh 10'x10' patch of grass. It has screening all around, here in Florida I was more concerned about providing shade and a breeze than having walls. I let the ducks roam the property during the day and herd them here at night. It is big enough to keep the flock secure for a few days if I needed to head out of town.

Thank you all so much for sharing. It seems that all the pens are kind of custom built. We have to worry about all kinds of predators here in Central TX to include fox, cats, dogs, snakes, opossums, raccoon & birds of prey. Not to mention insane weather.

Hello,

We had same problem, everything was for chickens. We bought a shed and changed it a bit. We put small door in and inside built nest boxes. My husband put in a shelf for me to put supplies in. Also ran electrical so I have power in winter out there. We built small pen in front of big duck coop and then a much larger pen outside of the duck coop. We were running out of room and had to give them more space at night but still be protected. Then my husband built a small attachment, it has a door you can open up to go into big one or close. I use it for sick ducks or babies. Everything can be closed up at night in case of bad winter. I have a well pump right inside the pen for easy access of water. During the day they are at our pond until dusk and then they go in their bed. I just had my first ducklings today so I have now two geese and 22ducks. So much fun. Hope this gives you some ideas for your ducks. Monica

That is truely a dream set up :D! Very Lucky Duckies!! I think I might buy a premade 1st & fo some minor alterations bc I only have 3 ducks & they are 1/2 feathered, so they will need something soon. I love all of these wonderful creative ideas! I can't wait to be able to build my own. It will be a little while, but I will get there! Thanks so much. I haven't had my ducks long, but I love them soooo much. I want to get as many ideas as I can, so when I get to build their permanent home, they will be the happiest & safest they can be :)!!

Finally finished!!

Daughter painted the side. She isn't finished & we have to do touch ups.

I painted cat-tails on the back.

They r resting after playing in the water for a long time :).

The inside. Broiler pan works great in helping keep down mess :).

Back
Top Bottom