Ducky needs Help! Emergencey!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crazyboutchickenfamily, Sep 18, 2011.

1. crazyboutchickenfamily

crazyboutchickenfamily Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Ducky has been not feeling well and she was improving Steady. I gave her her normal laying mash about 10 min ago:fl and her head is drooping again:hit. I think it might be the food because she was fine. We feed purina layer. Can someone please tell me some feeds to feed ducky that won't make her sick?[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds like the feed may be moldy, but don't rule out something wrong with her digestion.

How old is she? Do you have poultry vitamins? Give her lots of fresh water. Can she drink on her own? How long has she been ill? What is her poop like?

Do you have frozen peas? Rolled oats (not instant)? Wheat seeds?

3. crazyboutchickenfamily

Mar 15, 2011
    I know that the feed isn't affecting any of the other 5 ducks. I do have peas. I have been feeding her applesauce to keep her strength up and she was doing 100 percent better until I gave her the mash. She does have plenty of water and she was isolated from the others in case she was sick. She has been living in the house for almost a week in a pet carrier(that I clean out everyday). As far as her poop it looks normal. I have the nutridrench vitamins for poultry. We got her as a baby (not sure how old she was) but it may have been about 3 weeks after we got her feathers were coming in.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Okay, I'm still not clear on her age . . . (probably my brain - slows way down after sunset).

Anyway, slight possibility she needs more niacin than the others. Some ducks seem to be sensitive to niacin deficiency. If she's still pretty young, and you're feeding poultry layer mash, she may not be getting what she needs. It's not for sure certain, just a possibility. Also I'm told some non-laying ducks and younger ducks (as well as drakes) are sensitive to too much calcium in the diet, so switching her off to a grower/maintenance ration may help.

Sometimes ducks also have internal problems that do not become apparent until they're mature. I think my Drei may have been like that. She grew up okay, but died at about seven months of age. We didn't do a necropsy, but that's water under the bridge.

If you have a vet, it may be time to take her in. But if that's not an option, I always go with - fresh water, quiet warm safe place, lukewarm bath time, vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics, a few peas to check appetite, sometimes activated charcoal (can be bought over the counter in drugstores - it binds to toxins, I am told). I sing and talk to my ducks - I think they respond well to tender sounds.

I'll be praying for you both to get better soon.

5. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    X 2 everything Amiga said.
    I hope she perks up.

6. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:I would like to award you with the BYC 'duck hero' award as you seem to be in this section a lot offering advice and more importantly kindness and support. You rock!
    I hope this duck is OK.

7. crazyboutchickenfamily

Mar 15, 2011
    Thank you all so much![​IMG] I will give all of those a try. The whole time I have been on here I was holding her in lap and letting her drink water. When I put her back in her carrier she was holding her head back up and wanted her applesauce. So maybe by morning she will be some better again:fl. I thank you for your prayers and we know that there is only one person who can make her better and that's God:bow. [​IMG]

8. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I didn't catch the age of your duck, but is it possible she is molting? When the girls are ready to molt they get really cranky and act like they feel bad, Fred even lays down with her bill resting on the ground to prop her head up. They molt fast and hard, so... Maybe that's a possibility. Hope yours is ok.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I would like to award you with the BYC 'duck hero' award as you seem to be in this section a lot offering advice and more importantly kindness and support. You rock!
    I hope this duck is OK.

I agree 100%, and i am hoping for little one to get well too!!

10. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upshur County, Texas
    If it's her tummy bothering her, you can add some yogurt to her food to put some good bacteria in her digestive tract.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by