Ducky problem

luluza

In the Brooder
May 6, 2023
I have a duck around 4 months old. He's a single duck. You can hear his breathing a lot and sneezes repeatedly sometimes. He takes baths and dips his head in water. I'm scared he has a lung problem. He sneezes a lot when his head is in water. I'm not sure whats wrong, if anyone knows id be very happy to know! I would also appreciate any advice on how to raise him! I attached an imagine just in case anyone knows his breed!

Attachments

• IMG_20230406_185034.jpg
    IMG_20230406_185034.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 23
I have a duck around 4 months old. He's a single duck. You can hear his breathing a lot and sneezes repeatedly sometimes. He takes baths and dips his head in water. I'm scared he has a lung problem. He sneezes a lot when his head is in water. I'm not sure whats wrong, if anyone knows id be very happy to know! I would also appreciate any advice on how to raise him! I attached an imagine just in case anyone knows his breed!
It sounds like he may just be flushing his nares in the water. Sneezing in the water while head dunking isn't anything unusual
The breathing loudly is a bit weird. Can you describe how it sounds?

Kinda looks like a crested saxony to me, are you sure it's a male? Looks female to me. Does it quack, or make a quiet whisper raspy noise?
Is there a reason he doesn't have any duck friends?

It sounds like he may just be flushing his nares in the water. Sneezing in the water while head dunking isn't anything unusual

Kinda looks like a crested saxony to me, are you sure it's a male? Looks female to me. Does it quack, or make a quiet whisper raspy noise?

I'm not sure on his gender, i just call him he! His breathing sounds like a human really, when they have a stuffy nose. When we're alone he just kinda breathes. His quacks sound muted like somethings covering him.

The reason he doesn't have any other friends is that he was gifted to us and we just didn't know to get another friend!

I'm not sure on his gender, i just call him he! His breathing sounds like a human really, when they have a stuffy nose. When we're alone he just kinda breathes. His quacks sound muted like somethings covering him.
For the breathing, I expect its nothing to worry about, is he able to dunk his whole head in his waterer? Can you see anything blocking his nares?

for his gender, if you post a video of his quacks (upload on youtube or something similar, link here), we can let you know if male or female
The reason he doesn't have any other friends is that he was gifted to us and we just didn't know to get another friend!
This is understandable! So since ducks are flock animals they really do best in company. A good minimum is 3 ducks, but I myself have two and that works okay for the most part, they really bond with eachother. If you can get yours a friend, it would really benefit him. If a male (drake), I'd reccomend getting another drake, if it's a female, I'd reccomend another female

For the breathing, I expect its nothing to worry about, is he able to dunk his whole head in his waterer? Can you see anything blocking his nares?

for his gender, if you post a video of his quacks (upload on youtube or something similar, link here), we can let you know if male or female

This is understandable! So since ducks are flock animals they really do best in company. A good minimum is 3 ducks, but I myself have two and that works okay for the most part, they really bond with eachother. If you can get yours a friend, it would really benefit him. If a male (drake), I'd reccomend getting another drake, if it's a female, I'd reccomend another female
Yes he is able to dunk his whole head. For what i can see there's nothing covering his nares.

I'm not really interested in knowing his gender. I'm not sure if it's really needed. I was wondering if it's still okay for him to be alone because we do have chickens. I could suggest buying another duck.

He mostly spends his time outside or with me inside. Thank you!!

Yes he is able to dunk his whole head. For what i can see there's nothing covering his nares.

I'm not really interested in knowing his gender. I'm not sure if it's really needed. I was wondering if it's still okay for him to be alone because we do have chickens. I could suggest buying another duck.

He mostly spends his time outside or with me inside. Thank you!!
It's actually really important to know the gender, if it's a female, she will need a certain diet for egg laying to prevent issues, if its a drake, he could be at risk of severely hurting your chickens by trying to mate them.
It's possible to have him with the chickens, but if it's a drake he'll need female ducks to mate with to prevent him going after your hens. Otherwise he'd need to be separate. And in that situation he's be alone...

It's also important to know the gender so that you can find suitable friends, even with chickens, they won't be able to swim with him or chatter with him, they don't communicate the same ways or eat the same foods- they really benefit from the companionship of other ducks. Is it possible for you to consider getting a buddy?

It's actually really important to know the gender, if it's a female, she will need a certain diet for egg laying to prevent issues, if its a drake, he could be at risk of severely hurting your chickens by trying to mate them.
It's possible to have him with the chickens, but if it's a drake he'll need female ducks to mate with to prevent him going after your hens. Otherwise he'd need to be separate. And in that situation he's be alone...

It's also important to know the gender so that you can find suitable friends, even with chickens, they won't be able to swim with him or chatter with him, they don't communicate the same ways or eat the same foods- they really benefit from the companionship of other ducks. Is it possible for you to consider getting a buddy?
Ohhh thank you! I was doing some research on how drakes and and females sound, he really does sound like a female. Should i still try to send a video to figure out the gender?

How would I find a companion for him? I'm not sure how he would act with others because he's been usually with humans

Ohhh thank you! I was doing some research on how drakes and and females sound, he really does sound like a female. Should i still try to send a video to figure out the gender?
Go ahead! Best to know for sure, but it does look and sound female so far. You'll need to upload the video to something like YouTube, and then post the link here so that we can see it
How would I find a companion for him? I'm not sure how he would act with others because he's been usually with humans
You may be able to find another duck online, if you're in the US, possibly Craigslist, or local farms
I'd reccomend a slow introduction, see but no touch through a mesh fence for a couple weeks or so, at least. They'll get used to eachother and then you'll be able to supervise the introduction

Go ahead! Best to know for sure, but it does look and sound female so far. You'll need to upload the video to something like YouTube, and then post the link here so that we can see it

You may be able to find another duck online, if you're in the US, possibly Craigslist, or local farms
I'd reccomend a slow introduction, see but no touch through a mesh fence for a couple weeks or so, at least. They'll get used to eachother and then you'll be able to supervise the introduction
i can't just attach a video? Ima try to upload it! Thank you for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom