Ducling brooder on the right track?

You could also feed the ducks twice a day as well once they are old enough, you don't have to have food available all day.
That way the goats would be busy eating their own feed while the ducks get to eat. :)

I think you’re right on about the bucket feeder - that seems like the easiest place to start. This morning I dropped a scoop of feed on the ground by their kiddie pool hoping they would gobble it up before the goaties finished their grain - they were pretty excited to be swimming but I think they found the food pretty quickly.

I think you’re right on about the bucket feeder - that seems like the easiest place to start. This morning I dropped a scoop of feed on the ground by their kiddie pool hoping they would gobble it up before the goaties finished their grain - they were pretty excited to be swimming but I think they found the food pretty quickly.
I put big rocks on top as my muscovies like to perch - might want to consider how to secure it if you use a bucket feeder. Especially with goats and climbing.
I am sure @MatthewsHomestead will be on soon to lend some helpful advice. :)

I’ve moved the duckies out to live with the chickens and goats. Right now they are in the chicken run at Night - until last night separated but visible to the chickens - and in the goat run with their kiddie pool during the day. My question is feeding them - not quite sure how as the chickens wont let them near the food at night and the goats gobble it up during the day. My son is building a duck house to plop down inside the goat run where they will sleep at night. I would prefer not to have their food in there as it’s not that big and there will be the added mess. Also - we have had some predator issues but I’m hoping that having the goats in the run with the ducks will keep them
Somewhat safe. Thoughts? Our biggest problem has been coyotes weasels and raccoons. None of which have bothered the goats. The chicken run is Fort Knox but not a great spot for the ducks to swim. Thanks.

What kind of feeder are you using? My suggestion - multiple feed stations. Maybe try the no waste bucket or pvc feeders. I have both and the chickens and ducks can use those. Goats shouldn't have access to feed all of the time - so you could use an open feeder for them and feed twice a day.
Pics of your outdoor set up would help.

You could also feed the ducks twice a day as well once they are old enough, you don't have to have food available all day.
That way the goats would be busy eating their own feed while the ducks get to eat. :)

Having the goats and ducks together, I would definitely suggest a bucket feeder. Something similar to this would be wise. The PVC joints allow the ducks to get to their feed but the goats cannot. It can be made with just about any size/style container (with closeable lid), PVC joints, and caulk. Keep in mind that you will want to find a way to weight it down (maybe a landscape rock for aesthetic and functional purposes). This will ensure the goats don't tip or roll it over in an attempt to get the feed.
Screenshot_20180619-115827.png

My goats are Nubians as well! I don't house my ducks and goats together though. They all have their separate runs. If you have the space to set up their own run in the future I recommend doing so. Ducks are super wet and messy. They will toss the water when they swim (natural play) which soaks the ground. Walking around in a constant wet and muddy space can cause hoof problems in your goats such as thrush. If you do keep them together, (which you can make work) I would use deep gravel (pea gravel, smooth edges) about 3inches, around the ducks pool to allow for drainage. Also keep a close eye on your goats hooves, keep them trimmed and filed and spritz them with some apple cider vinegar as a preventative for thrush. Goats always seem to have a mindset that the grass in greener and the feed is sweeter when it's not theirs. I think if you modify accordingly and make adjustments as necessary, you can make it work.

Great advice @MatthewsHomestead! I never thought about the goats and the moisture issue from ducks.
I have sand and river rock under my duck's pool. It is nice as you can hose it down and for the most part the water is contained.
I have been splashed a time or two as well. So know just what you are talking about! :thumbsup

Great advice @MatthewsHomestead! I never thought about the goats and the moisture issue from ducks.
I have sand and river rock under my duck's pool. It is nice as you can hose it down and for the most part the water is contained.
I have been splashed a time or two as well. So know just what you are talking about! :thumbsup

The sand is an awesome idea! You can use landscape edging to create your sandy rocked area for the pool. They splash worse when you throw in some feeder fish for them. It's like catnip for ducks! Haha.

Another great feeder idea... If you can get a spool, you could hinge the top, put your PVC feed holes around the "trunk" of it. Then you can refill by lifting the hinged lid and it gives your goats something to climb on..... Just an idea...

Back
Top Bottom