Duct tape on curled toes...HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick100, Jun 23, 2016.

1. chick100

chick100 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Would like credible help please:
    I have 3 newly hatched chicks and one has curled toes. So in my panic to try to fix it...I used duct tape. Yes it was dumb...I know that now. But he/she can't walk at all like her little buddies can. So seeing that, I thought, why don't I take it off abd use masking tape, I mean it's lighter, right? So I took her out of the incubator and set to work and quickly realized that duct tape, stuck to itself, is IMPOSSIBLE to get off. In the process her nail started to bleed a bit. What do I do? Do I take steps to take it off now? Or wait until her toes are straight, and then try? Help needed please!! And she just hatched this morning.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It looks like you can try Goo Gone, it may sting on the wound, otherwise I'm not sure. If you have no goo gone, search google to see if there is a "homemade" version or you can try soaking the feet in soapy water to get the tape off.

Any wounds, clean them and apply some plain neosporin to the wounds.

Here's some information on getting tape and duct tape off found on PoultryPedia.

*** Special Note on Removing Tape from Legs, Feet & Toes ***
    [​IMG]*
    Use baby oil to gently and easily remove sticky tape. Then use waterless instant antibacterial hand cleaner/sanitizer to amazingly easily clean off baby oil. Note: You SHOULD NOT USE DUCT TAPE, but if you do, try using a cleaning spray such as 'Goo Gone' to remove the tape. Then wash the legs with dish soap & rinse off.

If you are not careful how you remove tape, you can cause a chicken pain and damage. The bird likely will also become reluctant to put pressure on places where the skin has become sore. It may then develop more problems with distorted standing and walking patterns, and troubles with deformed bones.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by