1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dud egg???? day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbee chick01, Jan 9, 2012.

1. newbee chick01

newbee chick01 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    hello everyone:) wondered if anyone can help??? its day 18 and i think ive got an dud egg because the air sack is big and it just looks different to my other eggs.its a different breed [​IMG]though so im unsure.wondering wether 2 take it out or leave it in??? any advise????

2. newbee chick01

Dec 14, 2011
    just would like to add this egg is bigger than the others but only looks half full.its slightly darker 2 so its hard 2 make out if theres any movement??[​IMG]

3. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    I would not throw it out yet, seems to have development, as long as it doesn't stink like it's gone bad it won't hurt to leave it in and see what happens. When we hatched our wellsummer eggs, we had to use an old slide projector to candle because the eggs are so dark, it's just about the only way you could candle them. Good luck, hope it hatches!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Mine looks like that, but if I were you just leave it longer "Just in case" Mine did not live, but I did have a chicken inside. [​IMG]

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Can you see any veins in there anywhere? By day 18 it should be quite a bit darker, and with a white egg veins should be easy to see around the edges. I think it's a dud.
    Here's a pic of my duck eggs around day 21, they looked pretty close to this at 18 days.
    [​IMG]
    It's a pretty bad picture, but there are veins and movement is pretty easy to see at that stage.

6. newbee chick01

Dec 14, 2011
    hi all,,just thought i`d update you on the egg,,,it was infact a dud :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by