Due to Hatch 10/31!!! Anyone Else Want to Join?

wee.gif

There's one egg mostly zipped, and one egg with a real good pip, and these are both in one of the two incubators in lockdown! Somebody in that 'bator is REALLY annoyed, too! The occasional peep sounds mightily ticked off. I'm betting it's the occupant of the partially zipped egg.

The pipped egg is blue, from a supposedly "true" Ameri..whatsit. The zipped egg is light brown, and I have forgotten what breed to which IT belongs.

No activity from the second 'bator yet.

Officially in "lockdown". I am a couple of hours early as we have a birthday tonight! I did put four under my first time broody hen two days ago, one color of each silkie! I am so super excited! Good luck to all of you too!
fl.gif
wee.gif
:weee

I have a broody silkie hen she is on 12 eggs ( was 13 till today
sad.png
) Yesterday was 21 so I thought - but so far nothing.. Maybe she was spending alot of time in the coop but not on them. So I candled them and drop one ( so mad at my self ) there was a fine little chick in that egg with a good bit of yoke still in it ( so mad at my self ) I only did 4 other eggs before I drop the one and they all looked the same.... Needless to say I didnt candle any more and I am just hoping for the best BUT I dont know when they will hatch. They are in a coop & our low at night has been in the upper 30, I have 2 - 250 watt heat lights on in it to keep them warm, I hope it helps poor mommy hen.. I hope all goes well. I will up date & do pic's if all goes well, when every that may be

So sorry you dropped one. I did that the other day when I candled.
hugs.gif
Sometimes it just happens.

Were the chicks alive when you candled them?

my light was not that good, I was able to see dark and the air pocket.. The egg that I drop that chick was alive but it was to soon - I hatched out some before & never seen that much yoke & it was smaller then the ready to hatch size.. so I will just wait and see.

Last edited:
If the chick you dropped was alive, I'd say that bodes well for the rest of the eggs. Eggs that are really close to hatching will usually appear dark under a candler unless you have a really good one.

Only one day left til 10/31!!! No pips yet, but they might be late!!!

I have 7 chicks in the brooder - just moved everybody right now (six 6-week old JGs to outside brooder, 14 chicks from small brooder to the larger one formerly occupied by the JGs) and the new babies into the "infant" brooder. After cleaning both, of course. *frazzled expression*

An eighth chick in the incubator not yet dried off, the other eggs haven't pipped or anything.

As soon as I set the chicks into the baby brooder, they ran straight for the feed! Before I could even dunk their beaks in the water! I'd have thought they'd be much thirstier than hungry... two of them had been in the incubator for 2 days. Now all 7 are drinking, eating, and rollicking around in the brooder.
love.gif

The 14 moved into the larger brooder have had to learn their food comes from a different shaped and colored feeder and waterer, but they have more space PLUS a little bitty roosting board, so they're investigating everything. Some have decided it's time to practice pine-bedding bathing directly under the heat lamp.
clap.gif

Any pips yet, Sumatra???

Back
Top Bottom