dumb corn question!

shakecc

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Central OH
I have 7 standard hens 2 bantys...I feeding them layer feed, but want to start supplementing some cracked corn. How much sould I give the above birds per day? A cup, a pound...or just throw out a couple handfuls. Sorry for the newbie question!

Thanks!

realize the layer feed is formulated to give them everything they need...they don't "need" anything else...that being said...I mix stuff all the time! If your goal is to maximize egg production I wouldn't do more than a handful or so...colder harsher weather would be a good time to add more bcause of the carbs in it verses the layer ration

I live in the deep south so die to the heat I don't give my chickens corn when it is hot weather. But in the winter when it is cooler, I give them cracked corn two or three times a week. They have a large run area and I jusy throw around about a 1/2 pound. They go to work scatching around immediatly.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

You can do as I do and weigh their commercial feed. I'd feel fairly comfortable giving them cracked corn IF they are eating about 1/4 pound of feed daily.

If you counted your 2 banties as 1 standard: 8 chickens times 1/4 pound = 2 pounds of feed each day.

I refill their feeder in the afternoon and then give "treats" thru the evening. They get plenty of treats if they've eaten their 1/4 pound/each. Of course, I can't for sure know if 1 or 2 are holding out for dessert but doubt if chickens can be that restrained and conniving
roll.png
. Besides, they like their feed - 20% protein FlockRaiser.

With real cold Winter weather, I can hardly feed too many treats but it doesn't take much warming before their Sumo wrestler appetites drop a little
wink.png

Steve

Back
Top Bottom