Dumb Grit Question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by desertgirl, Apr 15, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Hello![​IMG]

About grit...you just sprinkle it in the brooder and the chicks will eat it if they want/need it (instinctively), right? Is there a ballpark amount? My girls are about 8 days old-should I offer it to them?

2. lovemychicks2much

lovemychicks2much Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    you only need to offer it to them if you are feeding them something that needs gounded up but if you are feeding them chic feed only then they dont need any grit and that is all i feed mine is chic feed

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Right, your starter crumbles should have fine 'chick sized' grit in the feed. When you do begin offering free grit try to get the chick type, the hen type is too big for them.

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, so the feed has it already in it, and their eggs should be hard and o.k. when they start laying? Can you offer them grit even if they are on feed only?

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I wanted to start giving the girls some oats, but heard that grit would be necessary in orer for them to grind it,swallow it.

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    As long as you have food your chicks will only eat what they need as far as grit. If you use wood chips you do need to add a container of grit, I use playground sand for the chicks and put it in a little cup for them, or in the bottom of the feeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by