Dumb hatching newbie question about candling and heat loss

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lceh, Mar 31, 2011.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    DD and I just set our first hatch in our Hovabator 1588. I'm not planning to candle until Day 10 or 12 just because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell what I'm seeing at Day 7. But I wonder -- how do you get the eggs out to candle them without causing a big temperature drop in the incubator? Do you sneak them out one at a time, or take the lid off and do them all at once? Seems like it would take a while for the temp and humidity to get back up after opening the lid. Please advise, all you experienced hatchers!

2. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Well, I'm only on my second hatch but I usually sneak them out one at a time. If the temp drops I just stick a blanket over the incubator for 20 minutes or so and it stabalizes pretty quick. It hasn't hurt any of my eggs so far and on my last hatch I candeled EVERY DAY and had a 100% hatch!

3. madrooster

madrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    villa rica ,ga
    i do them all at once ,the hen gets off her eggs to eat a other stuff so it doesnt hurt the eggs as far as i can tell.the temp of the eggs dont seem to drop to much for a long period cuz u can do 20 eggs in just afew minutes so not really a big deal to do them at once.just my opionion

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It takes a long time for the eggs to cool on the inside, no matter what the thermometer reads. I open the bator and candle without removing them. I only pick up the questionable ones and decide from there.

5. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Love the cake in the avatar picture!!!! That is too precious. [​IMG]

and, I agree with the above wise words... they will be fine.

6. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    They'll do better if you just use a pen torch type candler on the blunt end of the egg and candle them in the incubator. Relax about the cooling in the time it takes [​IMG]

7. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    I have a 1588 too and I've been taking them out one at a time. The temperature doesn't really drop much and it stabilizes again quickly. Don't wait until day 10 because you will miss so much of the fun! Tonight I got to watch an embryo moving around in the egg, so COOL. I don't candle every day though, but every couple days and I take notes about each egg so I have a record of what's going on.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:This is what we do. Mama hen gets off the nest every day usually but for the last three days. The eggs are designed to cope with this. We get all the candling and culling done in one fell swoop then back into the box they go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by