DUMB QUESTION about bird colors

The dun gene is found in US birds and is used to make the varieties named chocolate, khaki & fawn. Chocolate is one copy of I^D, khaki is two and I think fawn is, but am not certain of that.

The choc gene is a sex-linked recessive gene. The chocolate colour it makes is a bit different than that made with dun.

According to the calculator there is a choc. gene behind the double lace Barnvelder, what does that mean. I have Barnevelders that are from stock imported from Holland and not out-crossed much. Is it possible that they carry the choc gene and how would one go about finding out? Is it even something that is possible to find out??

Just curious not trying to stir up a controversy.
wink.png

According to the calculator there is a choc. gene behind the double lace Barnvelder, what does that mean. I have Barnevelders that are from stock imported from Holland and not out-crossed much. Is it possible that they carry the choc gene and how would one go about finding out? Is it even something that is possible to find out??

Perhaps there is a bit of confusion here. Choc+ means "not chocolate" it is the wild type allele of choc the sex linked chocolate gene.
wink.png

The + symbol indicates wildtype.

Upper case indicates dominant allele; lowercase indicates recessive allele

- on a female indicates that it is a sex-linked gene (e.g., S- or choc-)

Quote:
Ah, see, I thought it might have worked something like that. Thank you for the explanation! So I misspoke. We have chocolate birds in the U.S. (because that is what we call the color), but not the choc gene.
smile.png

ETA: Question though. You say that true chocolate is sex-linked? How does that work? Like Cuckoo?

Last edited:
Cool --Great reading! I have a book (like the calculator) all about breeding Red Dun or Red Dun paint horses and its my bible of breeding. Thanks for sharing the chicken calculator!

Back
Top Bottom