Dumb question about breeding bantam roo with standard hens?

Brahmas are VERY NICE! They are a calm bird, but still have lots of personality.

I've never had standard birds be aggressive to bantams as a rule--the only truly aggressive ones were production RIR, which I will never own again--do NOT like them. In general I would say my bantams are more likely to come out on top of hte pecking order. And I have one small silkie hen who is aggressive towards EVERY other bird she meets.

The offspring of a bantam X standard will be a size in between.

My bantam boys have never had a problem fertilizing my standard hens eggs, and featherlegs do not get in the way.

Quote:
I don't know too much about chickens yet but out of the little group I have (now 9 days old)They (light Brahmas boys) are the sweetest little chicks!They don't mind being held or petted. and they don't run and hide in a corner like some of the other babies, most of which are friendly but there is the initial fear factor of being approached, then there fine.
I sure hope they keep there friendly natures! Next time I will order some girl light Brahma!
My australorpes are also terrific, the Cal. Whites not so much! They are the most spastic of all I sure hope they calm down some with age. I think top chick at this point is my Zelda, a little Ameraucana, she is very bossy always taking things away from the others, just making sure they know she is queen of the brooder! So I might decide to keep one of the LB roos but how do I decide which one? Any suggestions on what to look for ? I don't care about show quality at this point. Personality is my major concern.
Thanks for all the responses you all have been terrific with the answers, Stormy

The Cal Whites are spazzy and they were from Leghorn crosses.
tongue.png

I know you will be pleased with the Black Australorps.

Yep I already am , those australorpes Emma, and Whinney, Whinney was the one that had wry neck when she got here, anyway They love to just sit in your hand, and even when you go to put them down you have to take them off of you cause they stick like glue! LOL I got my incubator today! just a few min. ago! But said they will send the eggs seperately.

Last edited:
I have 2 Light Brahma hens, They are BESTEST breed ever! They are very friendliest hen i ever had in my life.
all of my hens are friendly but not as Light Brahma.
They do not peck other chickens that much, they seem very mellow hens.
and very acceptable.

This is probably a dumb question but, could it go the other way around? Standard roo and bantam hen? Or would she get squished?

Back
Top Bottom