Dumb question about breeding bantam roo with standard hens?

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
Can a little bantam rooster breed with a standard chicken or will the eggs be firtile or not, seems like there should be an obvious answer but i just know nothing about chicken (Yet) but Im learning slow but sure. LOL The reason Im asking is because I would really like to have a Boy but I live in the city so I need one that is a little less conspicious than a great big all boy that is really loud! Thanks for all your help! Stormylady

im no expert but the man who took my 2 RIR roos said he had a bantam roo before and now all his chickens were smaller ( after a couple generations), he wanted the full size roos to breed back to full size. I dont know how most people would feel about this but it was just his farm chickens and he wanted to get back to bigger eggs.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I was kinda wanting to get a white cornish bantam rooster to put a little of that breed into the male chicks for eating, guess that won't work then if It will change the size of the standard chickens that i would want to keep for laying , OH well thanks all for the answers they were very helpful.

Ummm....the bantam roos can crow just as loud or louder than a standard. If that's the reason you are wanting one, you might want to rethink!
wink.png
In fact, sometimes they think they have more to prove, KWIM?

Good luck!

Shelly

Yep that makes sense, I should have know, I got toy poodles that way too! Always trying to outdo the big dogs, and usually succeed!
lau.gif
Thanks again.

Exactly! LOL! There might be some less aggressive breeds of roosters. You know, not as into the big show of being the top roo. Maybe they don't crow as much? I think it is more of a personal thing, though. Each roo is different. You may just have to go by trial and error.

Just stay away from the Longcrowers!
gig.gif

Shelly

I havent taken pictures yet, but my little Bantam Cochin is a proud daddy to the cutest little batch of Ameraucana X Cochin mixes. He had no problem making himself a little harem of Standards while they have been wintering together, and no problem making the chicks that are now hatching. He is wonderfully laid back and a real sweetheart, gentle and tolerant of everything, but you can still hear his crow in the next neighborhood over!!!

Well I did order some Cochin pullets, but haven't ordered any males but Ive no doubt since my first or is just 13 babies they will throw a couple of boy somethings in with um. I guess I'll just hold off on ordering one just to see what i get first, Ewesheep told me they usually put little white boys (packing peanutschicks )in with her orders if there small orders form Ideal, any idea of what kind of breed they will be?
Thanks Stormy

Back
Top Bottom