Dumb Question about exterior siding for the coop

CritterHill

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 3, 2008
SE PA
What is the siding material called that I see on the outside of a number of coops in the coop gallery? Sort of a textured looking plywood stuff?

Examples:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/roush.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2328

We are in the process of building our coop and don't just want to paint flat plywood. Whatever these coops are sided with looks nice but not knowing what it is called, I am having a hard time searching for it or figuring out how much it costs.

Little help?

Where I come from it is called T-1-11 (Tee one eleven) siding, although that may not be the correct name, and it comes in 4x8 or 4x10 sheets. It is exterior grade plywood with grooves and is fairly inexpensive. Any lumberyard or building supply store, such as HomeDepot or Lowes, will carry it.

T-11 ( or something like that...) used to be the staple. Those pictures look like something different. Lowes has a variety of exterior panels with different looks.

So, should we have put this up instead of plywood? Or on top?

I guess we could do either?

Here is the current state of affairs...

front.jpg

We had planned on putting normal siding on top, but this looked easier and cheaper...

<---- 11 years with Lowe's. Left like 5 years ago, so I'm a little rusty. The one on display looks like the T-1-11. The rustic ones talked about by another member are rougher and will soak up a ton of primer! It should run around $25 or so. There is also a newer easier version made by the Hardi people. You can get it at either Lowe's Home Depot. I would think Menards would have it as well, it's called LP Siding. It's very similar to the T-1-11. It's already primed, on both sides I think, I know on one side for sure. If I remember correctly, it's slightly thinner, thus a little lighter to work with, and a little cheaper, by about $6 or so. We're building our coop with the LP stuff. Hardi makes some really good products.

Awesome. Thanks folks.

Initially DH had mentioned cedar siding, but came home today and announced "Hey, let's just paint the plywood!" due to cedar being expensive and looked tough to install.

He perused all the replies here and has announced that he is confident he can now wander into Lowes and find something more attractive than flat painted plywood.

Thanks!

T1-11 comes with grooves either 4" or 8" apart. 5/8" thick and grooves 1/4" deep, so it's fine to use as structural without plywood under. I have 2 shed built this way already. After I primed it, and yes, it's quite thirsty, like 1 gallon of primer for 4 4x8 sheets, I sent my 7yo on to do the top coat with a smooth knap roller and it came out looking like this.

coop1.JPG

We like the stripes and are keeping them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom