Dumb Question about exterior siding for the coop

If you like the look of cedar why not t-1-11 with a cedar stain.You would use this instead of plywood.Make sure you use at leastb 5/8" thick.If you already used plywood how about using some furring strips every 6" or so to look like board and batten.
will

Well, the husband has been at home Depot for OVER 2 HOURS. His instructions were to find something like the LP stuff, or HardiPlank, or other prestained stuff we can slap over the plywood.

Failing finding that stuff, T-1-11 and lots and lots of primer...

It seemed simple enough, but considering how long he is gone, I am a bit worried about what he is going to end up coming home with.

Especially since he has my credit card...

:eek:

Well,
What has he chosen?????????
D.gif

Quote:
HE'S NOT HOME YET!!!! He called me shortly after 7:00 saying he was on his way to Home Depot...

I wonder if I can find out recent credit card charges online or something to check up on him?

Oh! I hear the door. BRB!

If you already have the plywood up, then there is no need for either the T-1-11, or the LP Siding. You can paint the plywood, then attach 1/2 round painted in a nice trim color.

Quote:
Oh, I know, painting the plywood was plan B. But I was somewhat unhappy with flat plywood (he originally told me he was going to do cedar siding, but got scared off by the cost/labor of putting it up - that's why we had plywood done already instead of doing T-1-11 right off the bat. Oh and also because we can't seem to plan more then 10 minutes into the future...)

Anyway, he is back with 3/8 pre-primed "siding". Big 4'x8' sheets of the stuff with a nice texture, trim, and "oak alley" paint.

So it will be brown with white trim.

The plan for the weekend is slapping this siding stuff up and putting in the stairs. If we get lucky, maybe even getting the roof on!

Thanks for all the help!

Here's a suggestion:
If you don't like the current "state of affairs", as you say, then you can mimic a board and bat look (see my coop link for my hen house below, which is real board and bat construction) if you use 1x2 inch srtips of wood (bats) nailed to you current siding. Place them about 10-12 inches apart. Try to not use nails too long that go through the siding into the interior. Then, paint afterwards.

Quote:
Interesting. I'll keep this in mind. He only got the steps done today (slacker!). Hope he has the siding stuff on tomorrow and I will take some pics and see how it looks. I'm a little nervous about how this is going to look for various reasons.

But since I am on permanent toddler patrol for the foreseeable future, he is doing all the work so I mostly have to keep quiet and hand over the credit card...

I will try to update this thread when I have new progress pics.

Steps are a pain. If I knew I needed steps, I'd build the steps first, then adjust the coop to fit the steps!
lol.png
Looking forward to new pics of the chicken mansion.

Back
Top Bottom