Dumb Question About Sunflower Seeds . . .

Whitewater

Songster
10 Years
Jan 18, 2010
Ok, maybe it's just me, but I don't get it. How do chickens eat sunflower seeds? Do they shell them first, somehow? Do they swallow them whole? Are the shells bad for them?

I'd like to pick up some sunflower seeds for the new pullets when we go shopping tomorrow, but I can't figure out how they'd eat the seeds.

Help?

(And in lieu of a blushing smiley, which I really wanted to put here --
idunno.gif
)

Whitewater, feeling very newbish right now

(BOSS) Black oil sunflower seeds are wonderful treats. They do eat the whole things. Most feed stores sell it. I started buying mine in 7 lb bags from the garden department of Lowe's, next to the hummingbird feeders and songbird seed. Then I discovered my feed store sells it in 40 # bags! MUCH more cheaply. I keep the big bag in a large Rubbermaid tub with a lid, and have a smaller container with about a week's worth of it out where I can get a big handful out of it each morning and evening.

I attribute the beautiful, shiny feathers of my flock to their BOSS intake.

Chickens eat sunflower seed whole just as with all there food and the it enters the crop where it is ground down by the grit (small bits and pieces of stones) that they eat.
Black oil sunflower seed (BOSS) contains from 14 to 18 percent protein, 32% fat, 3 1/2% of mineral salt, but also 28 to 30% of crude indigestible fiber.

Chris

Most if not all Feed Mills sell it by the pound and in 50 lb bags.
I think it runs about $15.00 a 50 lb bag at the mill I go to....

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
A good feed mill will or at least should be cheaper in price on feed than a store like Lowe's or TSC.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom