Dumb question but I need an answer....roosting in nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiemom1012, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Chickiemom1012

Chickiemom1012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Denmark
    I was reading some posts about breaking hens of roosting in nest boxes. My girls have been roosting all together in the one nest box since I put them out in the coop. Does this keep them from laying, or just make for a messy box. They should be llaying now or very soon and I haven't gotten any eggs yet.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine did that once in a while. Chickens are fickle. It just makes for a messy box. I bet you that is the one they ALL lay in.

3. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    I closed off my nest boxes with chicken wire when they started roosting in there until they started laying eggs. Now no one roosts in the boxes and they all lay eggs in them. you really don't want them crapping in the nest boxes--makes for dirty eggs. My eggs are usually very clean.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Go out after dark and place them on the roosts. Are the roosts higher than your nest boxes? If not, they need to be. A couple of night of placing them on the roosts might get results. Also blocking the nests helps....if you can remember to unblock them each morning! [​IMG]

Once they try a couple of nights on the roosts, they usually don't like the nest boxes....too vulnerable, from a chicken's point of view. Of course, I did have one chicken that required roost placement AND blocking of the nests for a whole week! [​IMG] She is no longer on this Earth.... [​IMG]

5. I drilled six 1 inch holes in the back of the nesting boxes.
    This made the hens rather uncomfortable staying in them
    except to do thier egg song.

I is also great for the summer as the boxes get good ventilation.

I have though taken out a few hens and relocated them to the roost at night. They were prettey SLOW about it all.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens like a wide roost, not a pole type roost, at east as wide as the wide side of a 2X4. Make the roost attractive, and higher than the nests, move them at night if the are in the nest boxes, and they will learn.

7. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    I have an old window screen that I have to put in front of the nest boxes every nite this time of year b/c my EE likes to sleep in them when shes molting. I f I happen to forget all I have to say is GET OUT and she moves

8. turducken

turducken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Make sure the nest are lower than your perches and that there is enough room for everyone on the perch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by