Dumb Question, maybe, but can a raccoon.......

Quote:
The barn is very old and very badly constructed. There are no doors on either end of the aisle. The stalls all have low ceilings of wood and the only openings are over the hay racks in one corner. I have the doors latched and the other openings are covered in either chicken wire or grating that is welded. I know the chicken wire won't keep them out which is why I can't figure if It's a raccoon why they aren't just coming in and killing the chicks.

I figure if they are happy eating the feed, it's better than eating my birds. The stall with the feed in it is our storage area for now until the new barn is built. The other thing is, I noticed the lids off even when my two "egg layers" were in the barn at night too. (They are now in a coop and not free ranging.)They would nest above where the cans are. It just seems to me if it were a raccoon they would nab the chickens and not bother with trying to get he lids off????

Quote:
YIKES! I was wondering if I left the dogs down there for a couple nights if that would be enough to deter them? Maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom