Dumb Question, maybe, but can a raccoon.......

scbatz33

No Vacancy, Belfry Full
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
South GA
Open my metal trash cans of feed? Better yet, would a raccoon open my metal cans instead of snacking on my chicks in the stall next door?

I KNOW I close those lids after feeding, yet every morning one or the other lid is off the can. These are snug fitting metal cans. I put the lid on all the way every day.

So would it be a raccoon or another kind of pest? I was thinking of putting bungees on the lids, but then it occurred to me that if they are eating my feed and not my chickens what's a little chicken feed?

OOOOOOOOORRRRRR I have a ghost who hates having trash cans with lids on.......
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif

Last edited:
Oh I guess I should add. I have lived in the outskirts of towns for years. I have never lived out in the sticks like we are now. I have never had to deal with predators of any sort. At best we had to worry about mice and the occasional stray dog. I now have coyotes and deer and possums and God knows what else roaming through the place and I'm not sure how or what I should do.

I know my birds can't get out unless they are let out(we except for my stupid roo who has bionic jumping powers I was unaware of until recently)and I know the chicken wire only keeps birds in not predators out. However, this one has me stumped. The geese stay in the barn and have not been hurt nor has any chicken. I'm stumped.

Racoons are extremely crafting when comes to getting into things. You might try a bungee cord to hold the lid on.

Yes, a raccoon can and will open a trash can! Even if you put something heavy on top they will try and get it off to get whatever is inside the can. They are very smart creatures!

When I was a kid we had a pair of pet opposums. The female could get out of her cage in the basement, come upstairs, get on the kitchen counter, take the lid off the cookie jar, get out a cookie AND PUT THE LID BACK ON. No kidding. Maybe it's a 'posum in the feed?

Absolutely!! Coons are very clever at getting into things. Bungies may work, until he finds he can chew them off. Metal springs would work better, and make sure they are tight. If I were you, I'd find out how he is getting in and fix the hole first! If he can't get to the feed, your chicks WILL be next! If they are in a horse stall, that may be a problem. Unless there is some way to use some heavy wire fencing, like welded wire, or chain link to cover the open top, he will get in, they climb very well. You could also trap the coon in a live trap, and take him for a ride, of at LEAST 15 miles, and set him free too. Good luck.

Debbi

Quote:
See, that's the thing it doesn't really look like there is feed missing. However, this morning it did look like there was some "depressions" in the feed. Of course we are down to the bottom of the can so maybe it got in and had to hop back out instead of just leaning in. The one can will hold just over two 50# bags the other can is twice as large. It's almost always the smaller can of pellets that is open. Not the larger can of mash.

When we moved here our neighbors had chickens in a chain link enclosure, their house was latter for sale and chickens gone, I presumed they got rid of them but they said the raccoons got in and attacked them. That was 10years ago.

Nightly I get raccoons in my garage where all the dog, cat, bird etc.. feed is. We have containers with screw top lids, I found it open thinking someone left it loose. I tightened it and found it open again. I watched on suveilance camera as the raccoon would play with the container till it got the lid off. So now all the feed is in my office, since the garage has a cat door that the raccoons use. Office being the third car garage converted. I leave the door open on cool nights. The raccoons are brave and walk on in on me...

Back
Top Bottom