Dumb Question~ Switch to Forced Air from Still Air

ChickadeeNMe

Chirping
Apr 12, 2015
Knoxville, TN
First off, I want to say that I'm new here and I've been lurking for a long time and I've learned a lot and I love this site! Next, My dumb question.... I've looked for any answer to this question, but haven't found anything. It's a dumb question probably, but I want to be sure I don't mess up. I have a batch of hatching eggs on the way in the mail.... I ordered them too soon because I already have eggs in my incubator, BUT I have 2 incubators. So... One still air and one forced air. I have some eggs in the forced air that go into lockdown on Wednesday and to hatch on Saturday. My eggs on the way should be here Wed and be ready to go into incubator on Thursday. I have some decisions to make. Either I keep the eggs I already have incubating in the forced air for lock down and put the new eggs into the still air..... (possibly move them into forced air once I get it cleaned up after hatch)... OR I can put my eggs into lock down in the still air and that way I have the forced air to start incubating new eggs. Is it ok to switch incubator types mid-incubation? I know this is a weird question, and maybe I'm worrying too much. This is stressful!

That's what I was leaning toward. I don't really like this still air, but if I keep the eggs on the far side away from heating element.... Maybe it'll be OK. I got overly eggcited and ordered more eggs I'm not ready for. :)

If the new eggs are fresh, you have a few days to decide. You don't need to get them into the incubator the next day. Just turn them over once like would happen if a hen came in the nest to lay during the day. They can sit like that for a while before needing to start. They will sit in the hens nest sometimes for 3 weeks before she gets serious.

Thanks mournlight. I decided to not use the still air. I can't get the temperature right in this Little Giant. It either needs a fan or I have to take it back to Tractor Supply. It will read 104 in one corner and 98 4 inches away. I don't even want to try to use it. My eggs go into lockdown this afternoon and hopefully will be finished with hatching by Sunday. I can clean the bator and in goes the next batch.

Back
Top Bottom