Dumb Question Time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maximus, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    I now I have this somewere in my head but I can not seem to find it [​IMG]. Alright here it is [​IMG]. At what temp do chicks need to stay at [​IMG].

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    I would work the temperature down each day until about 10 days,,,ie (95, 90, 85,) it is summer now so might a little light at night if they are outside,,,if it is 90 out, then don't worry, just make sure they are clean fed and watered.

3. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Yup, generally 90-95 dgrees the first week and 5 degrees cooler each week there after until feathered out.

4. Maximus

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    Thanks I'm getting some SLW next week.

5. Baymen Moe

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Quote:Where you're in Fla, make sure they have some room to get away from any heat source you provide, depending on your set up. The chicks will let you know by their actions whether they're comfortable or not.

6. Maximus

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    I'm in North FL.

7. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Please use a thermometer in your brooder. Yes, chicks will show you when they're too hot or cold, but there have been plenty of posts about "What's wrong with my chicks?" and the answer has come down to they're either fried or frozen. Behavior itself is not the only reliable way to discern whether they are at the correct temps. Please make sure your temps are right with a decent thermometer. [​IMG]

8. Baymen Moe

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Quote:Great point there. I always used one in my brooder and still have one in the coop just for the heck of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by