Dumb question

flgardengirl

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Sunny side up :)
On the Tyson brand of game hens it says, "Premium Rock Cornish Game Hen". Is that the same thing as a Cornish Rock? The Tyson ones seem small so not sure if that is the same thing or not. I am asking because dh loves those things and wants to raise his own instead of buying them so I am trying to find out what they are exactly. Thanks

Here's some for sale: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/cornish_game_hens.html

Here's
what they say about them:
Have you ever admired the Cornish Game Hens for sale in the supermarket? Have you ever wondered if you could grow them yourself? Now you can! Murray McMurray Hatchery can supply you with baby chicks from the broiler industry’s top breeders. We sex these Jumbo Cornish X Rocks and provide you with the pullets to use for your Cornish Game Hens. BUTCHER AT 2-21/2 POUNDS LIVE WEIGHT and you will be eating the most delicious chicken in your life and you grew it yourself!

Thanks that does sound about right. So I could take cornish roos and rock hens to get my own cornish rocks then? Anyone know which rock variety would be best?

My understanding is they are just the pullets processed at about 4 weeks of age. Seems to be a logical choice as the males grow faster and larger after this 4 week point.

I like to keep the pullets for roasters - although I end up with more food into them to get them to 8 ish lbs.

Quote:
Yes,you can. The only difference is that they are processing them earlier. It's the same bird just younger. Any fast growing cornish-x would be best.
Words like "premium" is more for marketing. Some people might be sold on that. Maybe the next generation will lose the "premium " and call them "awesome" or "pimpin" either way if a word on a label looks more appealing, the marketing industry will use them. Will

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope. It worked that way before 1950 but not anymore. The cross breeds you would obtain from todays White Plymouth Rocks would have one of these two on the mother side; Standard bred (show- big, very, very slow growing without much breast meat) or Utility (hatchery- smaller birds selected more for egg laying, more plump and meaty but again slow to mature) The father side of the cross in the show version is a very meaty but extremely slow growing bird that is bred to proportions that make it difficult for them to breed. I don't know much about utility/hatchery Cornish. But they would have to be more capable of breeding and laying more eggs than the show birds.

Quote:
Raised to the larger sizes the females are not as efficient as the males. Below say 5.2 lbs live weight they are a little more efficient.

Back
Top Bottom