Dumb roo or dumb owner?

Mhare

Hatching
Apr 4, 2019
Hi all,

First time poster here but have been a member for a little while now. We have three coturnix quail and they are all just about to enter their 8th week. We thought we had three males but recently one has started mounting a female quite often. So then we thought we had two males and one female but I just saw the big male mount who we thought was the other male. This "male" that got mounted calls quite frequently and I know that's not a surefire way of sexing, but would a male mount another male in a hormonal ignorance as he was chasing his preferred female or is that not something that happens? The female that is getting mounted has started to develop some bald spots and we are going to separate her so maybe she is his favorite? Just curious so we know who to separate out so we can have uninterrupted laying!

Hi all,

First time poster here but have been a member for a little while now. We have three coturnix quail and they are all just about to enter their 8th week. We thought we had three males but recently one has started mounting a female quite often. So then we thought we had two males and one female but I just saw the big male mount who we thought was the other male. This "male" that got mounted calls quite frequently and I know that's not a surefire way of sexing, but would a male mount another male in a hormonal ignorance as he was chasing his preferred female or is that not something that happens? The female that is getting mounted has started to develop some bald spots and we are going to separate her so maybe she is his favorite? Just curious so we know who to separate out so we can have uninterrupted laying!

Yes a male will mount another male and they will fight eachother to the death for the right ti mate as well. Do you have the normal wild type quail or a special color variety?

Vent sexing for the win. While firmly holding a bird with one hand, move feathers away from the vent area so that you can examine the area. Males typically have a red, swollen organ near the vent. With two fingers, ever so gently 'pinch' the organ slightly... If white foam comes out, it's definitely a cock. This test doesn't tell you if your quail are female; If no foam comes out it simply means that the bird in hand is either a female OR an immature male. Since Japanese coturnix quail require a minimum of three hens per cock to avoid over breeding your hen(s), I'd recommend separating your confirmed cock into a separate cage until the minimum number of hens can be obtained. Should the results of this test prove inconclusive for two of the birds, then keep those two together. Should the results prove that you have two males (and if you only have two cages), then separate them with the least dominant male with the hen, and the very dominant male alone. In theory, the least dominant male is less likely to damage your hen until you can find him more girlfriends. The most dominant male you've already observed... vigorously chasing and mounting both of the others... accidents do happen, and birds get scalped this way; although rarely fatal, it's certainly painful and without proper care, could become fatal. Of the cage that has the two birds, check them again weekly until one (or both) crow... one or more lays an egg... or one (or both) prove to be males when vent sexed. In any event, you know you have one male for sure... and since you only have three birds total, you're going to need more birds to ensure he has at least three hens. I keep 8 hens per cock; fertility is at about 66%.

Vent sexing for the win. While firmly holding a bird with one hand, move feathers away from the vent area so that you can examine the area. Males typically have a red, swollen organ near the vent. With two fingers, ever so gently 'pinch' the organ slightly... If white foam comes out, it's definitely a cock. This test doesn't tell you if your quail are female; If no foam comes out it simply means that the bird in hand is either a female OR an immature male. Since Japanese coturnix quail require a minimum of three hens per cock to avoid over breeding your hen(s), I'd recommend separating your confirmed cock into a separate cage until the minimum number of hens can be obtained. Should the results of this test prove inconclusive for two of the birds, then keep those two together. Should the results prove that you have two males (and if you only have two cages), then separate them with the least dominant male with the hen, and the very dominant male alone. In theory, the least dominant male is less likely to damage your hen until you can find him more girlfriends. The most dominant male you've already observed... vigorously chasing and mounting both of the others... accidents do happen, and birds get scalped this way; although rarely fatal, it's certainly painful and without proper care, could become fatal. Of the cage that has the two birds, check them again weekly until one (or both) crow... one or more lays an egg... or one (or both) prove to be males when vent sexed. In any event, you know you have one male for sure... and since you only have three birds total, you're going to need more birds to ensure he has at least three hens. I keep 8 hens per cock; fertility is at about 66%.
Thank you very much for this information will definitely be put to use!! Appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom