Dumb Roo question time 🤦‍♀️

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y’all!

I recently discovered one of my d’Uccles is a cockerel. He’s now part of a breeding trio with two d’Uccle almost-hens.

My probably dumb question is, could he reach a standard hen to mate with her? I’ve got 2 EE pullets that wouldn’t care if he tried to mount them, but would anything come of it?

Thanks!

Hey y’all!

I recently discovered one of my d’Uccles is a cockerel. He’s now part of a breeding trio with two d’Uccle almost-hens.

My probably dumb question is, could he reach a standard hen to mate with her? I’ve got 2 EE pullets that wouldn’t care if he tried to mount them, but would anything come of it?

Thanks!
Its possible for them to make contact, and they sure will try. In my experience they aren't able to successfully fertilize eggs. I'm actually doing AI tomorrow for a breeding project because of it.

I have had bantam roosters that managed to 'make contact' and fertilize the eggs of large fowl hens. If the hen is excessively large, and the rooster is extremely small the chances of him figuring things out decrease. So I guess the answer is a firm 'maybe'.
Its possible for them to make contact, and they sure will try. In my experience they aren't able to successfully fertilize eggs. I'm actually doing AI tomorrow for a breeding project because of it.
He’s quite little since he’s a true bantam. The EEs aren’t huge, so I guess we’ll have to see. Maybe some interesting chicks this spring!

Thanks, y’all :)

Back
Top Bottom