1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dumb rookie question alert!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yinzerchick, Aug 16, 2011.

1. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Dumb rookie question, and it probably sounds absurd...can, or will, a chicken hold an egg in so she can lay it where she wants? My reason for asking is probably obvious. I've been keeping the girls in their run later and later, trying to get them all to lay in those nest boxes, but stil have a few that seem to wait, then head straight to the barn and lay there as soon as I let them out. [​IMG] Just wondering... I gave up and ended up putting a couple nest boxes in the barn too, at least they are using those. I just don't want anyone laying the woods, I'm not really into a daily Easter egg hunt.

2. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    LOL what a great question! I would guess yes they hold it, as long as they can, but some experts should weigh in on this. I know that when a hen wants to get into "her" box as opposed to a box that is empty she will squawk and complain for hours, until the other is done and then she goes in (or sometimes she climbs right in on top of the other!)

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Not a dumb question at all! With my new layers, I will keep them locked up until around 5pm each day for about a month, to get them into the habit of laying in the coop nesting boxes.

I do think they can "hold it" until they get to their favorite nesting spot. They probably can't hold it for long though.......(At least I hope not!)

That's a question that I haven't seen asked before, so maybe others will come along with more info that I have. I am just speculating, really......

Sharon

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Awesome question! I have year+ olds that are laying in the boxes but my concern is my new girls. My
    Cinnamon Queens are coming of age,one imparticular is doing baaaawk thing and was singing the song yesterday under a little stand of short pines where they like to hang out. I was worried she was lay right there . Then I was thinking"Is she going to know to lay in the box?". How would she know other than seeing the older ones doing it. Got my fingers crossed.

I guess there is no way of getting them to lay where you want them to unless you keep them locked up all the time. Even when they use those boxes and let them go back there is no guarentee that they wont go back to the barn. Chickens do what chickens do.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes they can. I've seen some of mine waiting for their favorite nesting box to lay in. (not so patiently too I might add)

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:Yep, same here. Empty to box to the right and to the left. But will stand there and throw a fit until her favorite opens up.

7. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Thank you so much for the answers! I guess I'll just let them out and hope for the best...No wonder a few are out there standing at the gate having a hissy fit, [​IMG] I better go back and let them out now. LOL! Thanks again!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Absolutely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by