Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

WE WENT TO THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY FAIR...I WENT STRAIGHT TO THE CHICK BROODER. THERE WAS A BUNCH OF PEOPLE THERE AND A LADY SPOKE OUT, "THIS IS WRONG ! THEY SHOULD LET ALL THESE CHICKS GO FREE INSTEAD OF BEING COOPED UP !"
I SAID THAT THESE CHICKS NEED TO BE KEPT IN A TEMPERATURE REGULATED BROODER OR THEY WILL DIE. WITHOUT A WORD, THE WHOLE GROUP MOVED AWAY.

citiots, thats what we call them here also

Here, in the Blue Ridge Mtns, we also have Floridiots. "Citiots" is generally reserved for those from Atlanta, or any other non-country people. But, the Floridiots are flocking up here like crazy. Now, if they were originally from up North, moved to Florida, then came here, they're known as "half-backs".

They're all fine until they become too demanding, or want to change the mountains to be more like the suburbs. You should see them try to grow "lawns". After the first rain following seeding, the only lawn is at the bottom of a mountain, so there are patches of grass in odd places, but no lawns. And, I've had to explain to several that, unless they want to get shot, respect other poeple's land. It's all most area natives have and they don't appreciate strangers trespassing, even if it's just to clean it up so as not to detract from their own property.

Respect. Quaint concept, isn't it?

Yeah. Why would I go to my neighbors property to trim their bush?

Exactly! Or pick up stuff or whatever.

We have a few messy areads but were working on cleaning it up.

But we have this one area with a dinghy/boat and the tractor, a bunch of wood etc. Its basically a mess and one of the neighbors is pretty close to it so i mean, i semi feel bad they've seen it fpr years lol BUT. they deal and now we're finally cleaning it up (plus its my parents stuff), and even though we havent touched any of it besides the tractor, I'd be mad if someone came and tried to move it or throw it out etc. Heck there's even some small trees/branches down they have left alone.

Here, in the Blue Ridge Mtns, we also have Floridiots.

In south Georgia we called them removed Yankees... Out west they call them snow birds, but every bird I've met has had better sense... including the one that accidentally committed suicide on the side of the building.

Had the manager at the quarry the other day asking about my chickens, asked if I got brown or white eggs because he's raised both. I told him I get I get brown eggs, green eggs, and a blue egg. He told me to stop yanking his chain. I had to show him pictures online of EE eggs before he believed me. :barnie

The other day I let my neighbor hold Junior, who is the sweetest, most polite cockerel I have ever met. He'll just sit and perch on your arm for the longest time... likes to nuzzle in my hair too. The neighbor asks me "What sets him off?" "Sets him off?" says I completely confused. "Yeah, I don't want him to go crazy on me..." "Nothing sets that one off," I just smiled and shook my head.

Well, the point is having respect for the property and rights of others. Yes, the owners of the unsightly mess aren't being very considerate, but their property, their right to keep it as they wish. The mountain folk have owned this land since the Indian Land Grants (another issue for another forum) and, as it's about the only thing of worth they have, they've been very territorial about it since the 1850s. Gotta remember, too, that during the Civil War, which really wasn't very civil, the govmint would send people up here to conscript the mountain men into the army. They'd run off into the woods, and the womenfolk would say all the men were already taken. When the coast was clear, the women would shake a rag around to signal the men they could come home. That's how we got a road named Shakerag. Then, there were the revenuers who'd come to break up the stills, a significant source of income for the mountain people, who brought their whiskey making skills with them from Ireland and Scotland. So, these folks don't take kindly to trespassers. They usually don't bring welcome news. They just want to be left alone which is getting harder and harder to do what with all the "idiots" moving up for the clean mountain air that they can't enjoy anyway because they keep their cars and homes shut up tight with the a/c running 24/7/365!

A hundred and fifty plus years later, the locals still hate to sell their land off to "strangers". They try to keep it in the family, so many parcels are like family compounds, and the roads are named for the families. Then some idiot from FL moves up to get away from the heat and crime, and wants to change everything to be like the golf course communities back home. They drive into town in their big fancy cars and treat the locals like "the help". Naturally, it causes some resentment. So, when the Floridiots and citiots want to clean up a small piece of land on the corner of our street, the natives feel insulted, like it's a criticism of how they do things ... which, indeed, it is.

And, that's your mountain history lesson for today, boys and girls.

Back
Top Bottom