Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Pics
My grandmother and others are convinced I need to put wooden eggs in he coop because they areeating eggs. I tried that before and chooks were too smart, kicked he wood eggs outside
roll.png
I'mnotgonna tell her that the only real "cure" for egg eating is to cull. She already wants to eat them
lol.png
If you've got egg eating problems, you may have a protein issue in your flock. Usually, it's a simple matter of increasing the protein content of the feed you are offering, and reducing treats. It's not natural for them to eat eggs. If they do, it's usually an indication of nutritional deficiencies.

My grandmother and others are convinced I need to put wooden eggs in he coop because they areeating eggs. I tried that before and chooks were too smart, kicked he wood eggs outside :rolleyes: I'mnotgonna tell her that the only real "cure" for egg eating is to cull. She already wants to eat them :lol:

If you've got egg eating problems, you may have a protein issue in your flock. Usually, it's a simple matter of increasing the protein content of the feed you are offering, and reducing treats. It's not natural for them to eat eggs. If they do, it's usually an indication of nutritional deficiencies. 
Usually when I add tiny crumbled (cooked) egg shells, they don't do it. Oyster shell worked for the longest time, but they won't eat it now, so it was a waste of money to buy it.

Usually when I add tiny crumbled (cooked) egg shells, they don't do it. Oyster shell worked for the longest time, but they won't eat it now, so it was a waste of money to buy it.
Oyster shell boosts calcium. They will only consume it if they need it. And most layer feeds already have more than enough calcium added in. But layer has just barely enough protein to support laying. Treats further reduce the amount of protein they are taking in. Crushed oyster shell does not provide protein, which is what they are after when eating eggs. Switch to a grower, flock raiser, or all flock; and stop feeding treats and extras.

U​
So my neighbors, who apparently raised chickens where they used to live, are convinced I need a rooster to get eggs. When my neighbors little girl came over and asked where my rooster

was. I told her I didnt need one to get eggs. She comes back the next day saying her mommy said I need one to get eggs. I cant wait until I get my eggs(which should be any day now) so I can be like "Hah!". Because I'm sure theyre thinking I wont get any eggs without that rooster. I mean I know I was never that educated with chickens until I decided I wanted to raise my own. Which I researched for months beforehand, and am still learning new things everyday. But I guess you just expect someone who raised chickens themselves to have some basic knowledge.

Every time someone said that to me, I would respond with, "Shhhh. Don't tell the girls, they may go on strike". Since I've had chickens for about 3 years now, I don't hear it anymore.

Good for you for getting them. You'll never regret it. They're wonderful (as I sit here listening to the egg song, wondering if they laid them in the trees instead of the nest boxes).

U​
Every time someone said that to me, I would respond with, "Shhhh. Don't tell the girls, they may go on strike". Since I've had chickens for about 3 years now, I don't hear it anymore.

Good for you for getting them. You'll never regret it. They're wonderful (as I sit here listening to the egg song, wondering if they laid them in the trees instead of the nest boxes).

I already have the addiction lol Trying to figure out my plan on getting more chicky girls. I think I'm going to get a few baby chicks this time so I can watch them grow. My 7 I have now I got when they were feathered and coop ready. But still need to build another coop before all that
1f604.png

Oyster shell boosts calcium. They will only consume it if they need it. And most layer feeds already have more than enough calcium added in. But layer has just barely enough protein to support laying. Treats further reduce the amount of protein they are taking in. Crushed oyster shell does not provide protein, which is what they are after when eating eggs. Switch to a grower, flock raiser, or all flock; and stop feeding treats and extras.

Mealworms are high in protein
1f606.png
1f606.png
The layers don't get treats except for maybe once a month or less... wouldsrambled eggs help?

The layers don't get treats except for maybe once a month or less... wouldsrambled eggs help?
Yes they will. Remember that egg whites are about 90% protein, which is why they are so tempting to birds that aren't getting enough. But if you plan on supplementing with high protein treats instead of switching feed, you need to do it every other day or so.

If I ever have green eggs, because I am in sales and know marketing, I am getting s copy of Dr. Suess's "Green Eggs and Ham",/so if anyone says anything about my green eggs, I can show them my book and proove they are not new.

Yes they will. Remember that egg whites are about 90% protein, which is why they are so tempting to birds that aren't getting enough. But if you plan on supplementing with high protein treats instead of switching feed, you need to do it every other day or so.
Ok. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom